1994 Dodge Grand Caravan Ignition Cylinder

I placed the key in the cylinder and gave it a turn to start up the van. The key turned pretty freely - there was no resistance. It did power on the accessories, etc, but there wasn't that extra push required to crank the starter, and the starter did nothing. And it just didn't feel right.

I played with it for a while, and found that if I pushed the key *into* the switch very, very hard , it would grab something inside and the starter would crank. I've been able to start it five times like that since noon, but each time it gets worse and worse.

I have to fix it tomorrow AM.

I'm not sure if I need an ignition switch, or a cylinder, or both.

Anyway, I'm hopin' this newsgroup will have an answer for me.

The dealer guestimated $260 plus tax. I need to do this much cheaper.

Can someone give me their opinion, and tell me tell me how to replace the switch/cylinder. ( I found bits and pieces online, but not the whole story - I think I'll need a secure torx driver as well - hope they have that at the parts store. )

Your help is appreciated...

...Mike

Reply to
<michaelm