1995 Dodge Caravan lockup problem

Hi

Im hoping I can get some help, Ive tried almost everywhere else.

Ive got a 95 dodge caravan 3.3 Se which I love, its got a good engine :)

Ok so last week Im driving home, pulls of the freeway and when I get to the stop sign, the car stops.... so I tried to restart it, no problems, as soon as I put it into drive, the car SHUDDERS and then stops, so tried it a few times, in reverse and the "granny gears" and it does the same... anyhow after calling it several names and giving it a damn good thrashing (like the scene from fawlty towers) it starts, I manage to limp it home.

Anyhow has a look at it the next day, and it does the same, if it does go every time It comes to a stop sign, or I put the brake on it stops.... and does the shuddering thing.

Some people have told me that it might be the Torque Clutch, some people have said the Lockup converter... what do you guys think?

And is it a easy repair to do, can it be done by myself or do I need to take it to the shop... and if I have to do it, I think the part is somewhere near the drivers side front wheel, is that where it is?

If I got to take it to a shop, how much of a repair bill am I looking at?

Please Please help me, either post a reply to the group, or email me at bigsexy at clearwire dot net

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jay

Reply to
Deaqthtouch

Those "two" groups of people are using different terms for the same part: The torque converter lockup clutch, which certainly sounds as if it's being applied improperly (it's only supposed to lock in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear, and only above certain road speeds.)

Diagnosis and repair of the 4-speed electronically-controlled automatic transaxle in your van is not easy.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern