1995 Town and Country questions

Have a chance to buy a 1995 T&C van. it actually has a lot more than I need, since I am going to use it to carry guitars, amps and a PA system around.

The good things: The body is in good shape, just starting to turn 'brown' in sopts underneath, but no real rust or holes anywhere.

Doors all work properly, leather seats in fiar shape, no cracks or splits. Starts readily. Has what sounds like chain noise that goes away in a few seconds.

The bad: Clunk going into reverse. Reverse only. Gear transitions are smooth. Going from Park to drive OK, going from ANY gear or neutral to revcerse and there is a clunk, seems to be driver's side front (right where the tranny sits...)

Rear end feels loose. Lots of clunking from the rear, and a slight shudder. Everything looks OK, no cracks in the springs, no loose mountings, etc. Shocks seem bad, and perhaps wheel bearings?

The Ugly: ABS light on. Brake light on. HARD brakes; you really have to stand on it to get it to stop.

Listed at $1495(RIGHT!) - $500=$995.

I offered $400, they countered with $700. I would go maybe $600 depending on these problems. The brakes seem the scariest, obviously.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I would run, not walk, away from this.

Spend the $600 on lottery tickets, or a blonde, or maybe ice cream.

Just my $0.02

Reply to
HLS

n message

The ABS problems are most likely caused by a failure of one or more components of the Bendix 10 System. It is very expensive to repair this.

Keep this in mind if you decide to buy.

-KM

Reply to
KirkM

AFAIK, there is no end to the Bendix system recall. I believe this would be on Chrysler's dime...if they even have two nickles to rub together...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

The *unavailable* Bendix 10 system is the least of his worries on a 1995 T&C. It may have a problem within the non-integral Mark IV HCU, but at least that system is nowhere near as much as a POS as the B10 was.

The problem is that the 3.8 V6 engine is probably the stoutest thing on this shitbox, and yet the OP reports timing chain rattle for 3 seconds on start up. I'd pass, unless they paid me $1500 to take it.

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

Dude, it's me...

I'm looking for a cheap van to use sparingly, 25,000 miles is more than I need to get out of it.

The body is sound, but the brake system is the biggest scare. Now, we couldn't open the hood :( so I don't know if it has a 3.8 or a 3.3.

But, you say the Bendix system is unavailabe? AFAIK, Chrysler has to replace them whenever they go bad under the recall...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

LOL! "Creampuff in waiting". I like that. No, no real creampuff, but appearances are OK, and it is a solid body.

I'm trying to determine what I can do about the brakes, mostly. If I can get it so it stops without standing on the pedal, that's good. I don't really care about the ABS; I've been driving without it for so long it makes no difference to me. So if I can safely disable the ABS, that's OK.

As for the 'chain', did the 3.8 have a chain? Once it runs for 3 seconds the engine smooths out and runs well. I had an '85 Celica that did the same and put 35,000 miles on it. But, that's a Toyota...

But $700 is definitely out of the question for 208,000 miles...

I usually pay $3-400 for vans like this. If everything else is a cheap/quick fix, I might go $500. If I can fix it for $500 or less.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

It's a 3.8. The 8th digit of the VIN is L, correct? Even if you had the 3.3 which wasn't available, it is just as sound - unless the timing chain is rattling. Sounds like a POS.

It was unavailable in that year. Therefore your 1995 'creampuff in waiting' probably isn't equipped with a Bendix 10 system, wouldn't you think? Perhaps, by amazing coincidence, someone backwards retrofitted it with one just to cause more problems.

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e86.GTS:

Then that's probably how long it takes for the oil pressure to build and take the slack out of the chain, which is probably what's meant by "I'd pass, unless they paid me $1500 to take it".

Yeah, but any engine will run 35K on poor oil pressure, so that doesn't tell you much. Try and get that same engine to go /350K/ and you've got a different story.

I see these vans for sale very frequently by the side of the road with prices like "$500", "$350", and "FREE; get it off my property". I think I now have a pretty good idea why...

Reply to
Tegger

If the fluid blockage is inside the HCU, you won't be able to bypass it without a ton of very unrecommended rigeneering. I would only replace a bad HCU if it was in my shop, not try to bypass the system.

Do you not take anything that I write to heart? Yes, it has a chain. This is a standard 60* V6 with a standard non-tensioned timing chain. If it is rattling then you have problems. On further thought, if the noise is not coming from the chain and goes away after a few seconds you may have an overall bearing clearance issue or an oil delivery issue. You may drive it until it stalls but you won't fix it for $500 unless you're really lucky and it's just a bad oil filter drain back valve or the wrong oil / low oil.

At this price point, a hundred here or there doesn't really matter much. Why not go to the junkyard and buy something for $300. You'll save $200 right away! Get my point?

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

Actually, I do take what you say to heart.

There was one other thing I noticed. When I started the van, the oil pressure was up over half on the guage. A blip on the throttle caused it to drop momentarily, then it came back up and didn't drop again...

I'm afraid so.

The thing is, I can usually fix most mechanical things, but a sloid body around here is kinda rare. So, I'm thinking, drop in a new motor. They're pretty cheap.

So the real concern is the brakes and the clunking. I think the brakes are more of a killer...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I've had three...a '92 short one with a 3.0, with 24,000 miles on it, and two '92 3.3L beaters (REAL beaters) but with good transmissions. I like them! They will run for miles and miles, as long as the tranny is OK.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I stand corrected. 1993 was the last year for the Bendix 10 ABS. I don't know what was used after that. In anycase, it sounds like there is a problem with the ABS.

-KM

Reply to
KirkM

"I'll make rabbit stew of him, sire!"

Um, I think I'm getting the picture...

And, certainly NOT at $700!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I have two of these vans, one a 1995 the other a 1994, T&C.

Both of mine make that startup noise, have been doing it for years. I would not concern yourself with it. It could be timing chain, yes. It could be hydraulic lifters that bled down. So what? When either of those gives way with the miles on the engine you just scrap it. What your concerned with is how many miles are left on the engine. With gentle driving, probably 20-30K.

Brakes MAY NOT be as much issue as you make them out. Pull the brake fluid cap. If the fluid is there, then forget it, the van is scrap - unless you get it for free and are willing to spend time putting wrecking yard parts in it. If the fluid is gone then there's a possibility it's just a leaky caliper. A replacement from a wrecker is cheap. You will have to pay a dealership to bleed and purge the system, though, after replacing it, and scan the ABS computer to see why the ABS computer is complaining. It could simply be a bad ABS wheel sensor.

The clunk is probably an axle. Check the CV boots likely one of them is shredded.

The fact of the matter, though, is that even $400 is generous for this van. If the seller was willing to pay to drive it to a dealership and have it diagnosed, depending on what was wrong with it, then it MIGHT be worth $400. But, without a diagnosis, the best the seller would get is about $100 from a wrecker, probably more if they parted it out in their driveway.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

And we almost have a winner- these gen II Mopar Minvans LOVE to fry the transmissions, if they are the 4-speeds. Make sure you budget a grand or so every 75000 miles to replace the tranny.

Damn shame, because otherwise they were nice vans. IMHO, better dash and interior space layout than the newer ones, and for damn sure better rearward vision. Not so hot in salt country- that rear wheel well on the passenger side loves to rot out. Some design defect that traps road crud up in there,

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

It's a dealer.

I have had three of these, one almost new back in '94, and 2 '92 Gr. Voyagers, one AWD. They were both clunkers, but without the troubles this one has.

I have seen this brake problem before. One of them was on mine, and I just flushed the system myself and it went away. The other one was a mechanic's van, and he replaced every part in the system and it still didn't work. I asked him about bleeding the ABS and he gave me "the look". ;)

If I KNEW I could fix it for $500 or less, I'd go $400, because the body is in real good shape. Other than that, I'll start the hunt all over again.

BTW, I have a 'hachiroku' (1984-87 Corolla GTS twin-cam), a Supra, and a Scion tC. Why do I like these things so much?!?!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I've had three, one almost new, one with a rebuilt trans and one with the original, AWD trans w/123,000.

I also had a '94 LHS w/ original trans @ 168,000 miles.

The secret? RTFM! (Er, read the FULL manual!) You don't go into 7-11 and buy "Dexron-Mercon" trans fluid, even for a top off. The dipstick says ATF+3, so *use* ATF+3. The last van was a POS, but the trans worked MINT. Same for the LHS.

That's why I'm looking for some salvation for this one. I crawled around underneath and LOOKED. The body isn't pristine, but there is NO rot. It's just starting to turn light brown, and a coat of oil and a vamp down a dirt road will take care of that for as long as I need it...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Only a dealership can bleed ABS on these vans because only the Chrysler DRB scantool can send the commands to the ABS computer to open all the valves at one time. Even the most expensive aftermarket scan tools, the ones that mechanics use, not the cheapie $100 ones from the auto parts stores, cannot do it.

If the master cylinder runs dry, you are going to get air in the ABS system.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt