1996 Concorde 3.3 Coolant Leak

I'm getting a coolant leak near the front of the engine. It is not the radiator. I suspect the water pump. What's the cost of repair if I take it to a repair shop or a dealer?

One guy says the timing cover has to be removed to get at the leak and this could be a problem if the bolts holding the cover are corroded/frozen. In any event, it is not a simple job.

Any ideas?

Reply to
njoracle

Whoever says that the timing cover has to come off is thinking of the O-ring leaks behind the timing case that can happen on a **3.5L** engine, not a 3.3L engine. Very different beasts on the front end since the 3.5 is a belt-timed SOHC and the 3.3 is a chain-timed pushrod engine.

Changing a water pump on a 3.3 is, actually, a pretty simple job. Especially in a Concorde where its installed fore/aft instead of transversely.

I would also not just ASSume that its the water pump although that is certainly a likely candidate. It could be a loose upper or lower hose, a leaky T-stat housing gasket, etc.

Reply to
Steve

The water pump on the 3.3 is a very easy job to do, the timing chain cover does not have to be removed to do the water pump. I would say about 2 hrs labor. However...... If the Timing Chain Case Cover Water Inlet to Cyl Block O Ring is leaking then the timing chain cover has to be removed and the gaskets and O-rings will have to be replaced. And if your gonna do that you may as well have the crank seal and timing chain and gears replaced. about 4 to 5 hrs labor with a coolant flush and oil change. parts, $200.00 to $300.00 rough estimate

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Can there be problems with getting the timing chain cover off if the bolts are frozen? How often does that happen?

And if your gonna do that you may as well

That makes perfect sense.

about 4 to 5 hrs

Reply to
njoracle

Or perhaps a Timing Chain Case Cover Water Inlet to Cyl Block O Ring.

Reply to
njoracle

Have never had that problem with siezed bolts... Im sure it can happen, but if it needs to be taken off you gotta go for it!!!

Reply to
maxpower

Wow $60 per hr is way below what we pay here.

Reply to
Some O

Who said something about $60 hr?

Glenn

Reply to
damnnickname

I think Glenn said roughly $200 for parts to which you add the cost of 5 hours of labor.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Perhaps- but its not particularly common on a 3.3, as the similar O-rings are on a 3.5. I say "common" on the 3.5, but my own personal 3.5 has never had to have those O-rings replaced in 12 years and 240,000 miles....

Reply to
Steve

I'm leaking about 1/2 gallon per month. So for $3 or $4 a month for replacement coolant, why not just live with it?

Reply to
njoracle

Because ONE time of forgetting to refill it (or if it should happen to get faster) will cost you a $2000 or more engine change, plus all the time being without the car while the engine is replaced.

Reply to
Steve

Sounds like a plan!!! when it decides to just let loose and spill it all out on a cold raining day pull your reply back up and read it back to your self over and over. I would get it fixed

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

I have a computer program (Quicken) that reminds me to check the level every two weeks so I'm not worried about forgetting. If it increases, I'll check once a week. I'm retired so checking the coolant level gives me something to do. :)

A local dealer (where I bought the car) wants $700 to do the work. With

125k mi, maybe it would better to do an engine change anyway.
Reply to
njoracle

Ripoff alert.

Why? Have you been neglecting maintenance that badly? Does is burn oil by the drum? This makes no sense, but I've never known anyone from Noo Joisey to make sense, anyway.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
philthy

Antifreeze breaks down very quickly in the ground - no chance for water contamination. Not saying he doesn't need to fix the problem, but ground water contamination is not a valid reason.

Bill Putney

I took it to a local garage and he found a second leak and fixed it. He said there is still a leak associated with the seal but it is minor. He asked me to drive it for a week and see how much the coolant goes down. So far, in two days, it has gone down 1/8th of an inch.

Reply to
njoracle

Reply to
philthy