1996 Concorde

Am waiting on a quote from my NAPA mechanic, but I'd like to ask here as a comparison. What would be a fair price to replace the timing belt on the 3.5 V6 engine? This is assuming that there are no unusual difficulties encountered. The vehicle currently has more than 156,000 miles. Thanks.

GrtArtiste

Reply to
GrtArtiste

I would say between $600 and $950 part and labor. You are planning to also replace the water pump while in there, right? It is driven by the timing belt. That price range should include that

Hambone

Reply to
Hambone

Oh - also, definitely replace the timing belt tensioner pulley (might come with bracket). The hydraulic tensioner generally does not give problems if the engine has been properly and regularly maintained (oil and oil filter changes) - your decision whether to replace that or not - it is one of the more expensive parts - it's a "dealer only" item.

Reply to
Hambone

Thank you for the info. About an hour after the original post I got the quote which was $631.00 + tax, which includes the water pump-idler and various o-rings and seals. Now all I have to do is get the funds together.

GrtArtiste

Reply to
GrtArtiste

That's a good price - as long as the quality of the work is good.

Hambone

Reply to
Hambone

I have dealt with this shop and it's owner for 13+ years. To date, I have no reason to think he has ever been less than totally honest with me, and I have never had a problem that I could blame on poor quality work by him or his staff.

GrtArtiste

Reply to
GrtArtiste