1996 LH Fuel Level Sensor

The fuel gauge on my son's '96 Eagle Vision TSI (3.5L, 90K miles) occasionally loses sanity and shows "empty" when it is not. I am guessing that this is likely caused by a dirty or defective fuel sender. The FSM seems to show this is relatively easy to access through a cover behind the rear seat in the trunk.

Before I open this up, I was hoping to get a few simple answers from someone who may have already had experience with a fuel sender on this vehicle.

My questions:

  1. Will I need a new access cover gasket or can the old gasket be re-used?

  1. Can the fuel sender unit be cleaned/repaired or should I plan to acquire a replacement in advance?

  2. Can the fuel inlet strainer be cleaned or is it a replaceable part?

  1. What other work is appropriate when the fuel sender module is removed?

Thanks in advance for all responses since I'd like to plan before executing since at this point the intermittent fault is just an annoyance and does not affect drivability.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Hi Bob...

Not a mechanic, just an old retired electrical guy, but for whatever little it may be worth...

My 94 lhs was sorta like that when I got it 2 years ago... anytime the "honest" level was below 2/3 of a tank or so it would intermittently suddenly drop to zero, the yellow light would scare me, and the OH would get all confused...

Didn't matter much if at all to me; wintertime trips once a week or so of a couple of miles to the Dr, bank, grocery store, so I could hardly run out. Summertime a few trips to the lake of 180 miles round trip, so I couldn't run out then, either.

But the interesting part... after a few of those lengthy trips the durned thing somehow magically fixed itself, and has been perfect ever since.

Suggestion that your son perhaps switch gas types for a while, see whether it might work for him too. Meanwhile, if he'll reset the trip odometer each time he fills up, and of course knows of the problem, he shouldn't be able to run out either :)

Just a suggestion.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

IIRC, its reusable

I hate to say anything is "not repairable" because with enough determination you can about do anything... but.... Its bottled up pretty tight.

Now you're taxing my memory! I think its a removable filter.

To add more info, I only opened mine up when it was time to replace the fuel pump, and a new screen and sending unit were both part of the fuel pump package. I honestly don't know what components can be bought separately.

If this were a vehicle where you have to drain the fuel and then drop the tank, I'd say do EVERYTHING (including the fuel pump). But is really so easy on the LH cars that you could open it up and have a look around before buying ANY parts. Take a look and decide what you need.

Reply to
Steve

Check to see if you have a short in the sensor wires. ( 1 hot, 1 ground). A good place to look is at the wire connectors right at the fuel pump. Does the intermittent fault only happen in wet weather?; When you hit a bump? When it's acting up, will wiggling the wires fix it?ect.... I've seen more than a few people spending $200-$300 for new fuel pumps for various vehicles (Chevy Blazers in particular) when they only had a short in the wire connectors.

Reply to
Duncan

Thanks to Steve, Ken, and Duncan for their replies. These all seem to re-confirm that the root cause is likely the fuel sender rheostat wiper either being dirty or not making solid mechanical contact.

I will plan to double check the connector and wiring and clean the contacts when I remove the unit. I'll also attempt to clean the fuel strainer if that is possible and not replace the fuel pump since this is fairly easy to access.

I will also plan to re-use the existing gasket (which was my biggest question since I wanted to purchase the parts in advance if they needed replacement).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman