1996 Plymouth Voyager Won't Start

Recent History: About 192K miles. Leaks oil. Battery fried less than a week ago and was replaced.

Tonight on my way home from work, the check engine light came on, flashed a few times, and then remained on steadily. I drove about another half mile before stopping at a local store. I shut engine off, shopped for about 5 minutes, and then tried to start it back up.

It sounds like the starter engages but only turns the motor a fraction of a turn (or not at all). Checked the oil and it is in the middle of the safe zone.

Fault codes are:

12 -- Battery was recently replaced, as noted. 13 14

Any thoughts?

-- Christian

Reply to
Christian M. Mericle

When the battery was fried a week ago and replaced, did the person who replaced it also throughly check out the charging system to make sure the battery was being charged?

Sounds to me like it isn't, and you simply were running the van off the stored energy in the battery that was present when you bought it. Now the battery is out of juice and of course the starter isn't going to have enough power to turn the engine.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Thanks for the reply, Ted. Returned later yesterday evening and the vehicle started without problem. However, it has symptoms of a blown head gasket (steam in the exhaust and water in the oil).

Considering its age and high mileage, I don't feel it's advantageous to have it repaired. I'm going to buy another used vehicle.

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

If that was the kind of answer I was looking for, do you think I would have to post to a newsgroup to get it?

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

Reply to
NewMan

If the engine lite came on a few times and flashed as you were driving it. That would be a cylinder misfiring. Nothing to do with thte starter.

These are map sensor fault codes which would cause a drivability problem and may even cause a no start but also has nothing to do with the starter. I would start by checking to make sure the map sensor is connected under the hood. You dont say what engine you have therefore I cant tell you where the sensor is located

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower
2.4L, 4 cylinder

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

2.4L. Sorry I left that out.

I'm pretty sure now that it's a blown head gasket, though I'm not sure why it temporarily wouldn't turn over.

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

If you expected more than that then you should have been more specific. You asked for "thoughts," nothing more. You gave no indication that you either did or were able to perform any troubleshooting. You gave no indication if you wanted help with the no-start problem or the MIL light/trouble codes, neither or both. Given the lack of detail in your request, I gave you what you asked for....my thoughts.

Reply to
Dipstick

I think it's the same engine where they revised the head gasket, read this:

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Engine was probably hydrolocked due to having a cylinder full of coolant that got forced into it past the blown gasket by the pressurized cooling system. I would be willing to bet that the hydrolocking caused damage to the rod, bearing, wrist pin, or piston that would evidence itself if you do replace the gasket.

Reply to
Daniel Armstrong

If it hydrolocked while the engine was running it would definitely do damage. But, if it hydrolocked just sitting there, and he went to start it and the engine wouldn't turn at all, the starter doesen't have enough power to damage these parts. Perhaps if the starter got it 3/4 of a revolution going then it hydrolocked that might be something but I doubt it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

If it hydrolocked, it was after I shut it off. The engine didn't stall. It just wouldn't restart after I shut it down.

-- Christian

Reply to
Christian M. Mericle