1997 Caravan Airbag like comes on intermittently.

Hello,

I have the Airbag light problem. Mine is 1997 Dodge Caravan. Is there recall for that? Would this also cause "Service Engine Soon" light also? "Service Engine Soon" light came first and then Airbag light latter intermittant and goes away by istself.

Two other questions:

1) Is it dangerous to drive like this? Will Airbag go off for no reason? Would airbag work when it is needed?

2) If it is not covered by recall, is it difficult/expensive to fix?

Thank you,

Reply to
JM

jdoe

Are you really this stupid? What do you think? Could it be dangerous? what i'll wave my majic wand to see ifd it is a dangerous condition? Oops sorry, it did not tell me if it is a dangerous condition. It is just a silly light in the dash that means nothing! Oh, Don't worry it is a warning light telling you there is a problem with the airbag, but your certainly entitled to just wonder if it is serious or not. Get it ^%$@ing scanned so a proper diagnosis can be made!

Duh, that would depend on the problem wouldn't it.

Let me guess, you also think oil changes and regular maintenance are silly also!

Reply to
David

There is a recall for the clock spring wich keeps the wired connection for the airbag,the horn and any other controls in the steering wheel ie;stereo controls,cruise control. is there anyhting else that is not working?

Reply to
TNKEV

Tnkev,jdoe,

Thanks very much. Other things seems to be working. I have tried cruise, radio, indicator, wiper, horn.

where is this clockspring. Can it be checked easily?

David, thanks and take it easy:) I got your point.

Reply to
JM

never mind David,I see people everyday with thier airbag light on and that is the first thing they say,"is my airbag going to blow up in my face?"the answer is no,the light indicates the air bag is turned off due to a possible issue. I would say with the horn and cruise working it does not fall under the recall. some parts places will hook up a scan tool to your vehicle for free and let you know some *possible*causes for your check engine light and air bag light,if you don't want to go to the dealer and get a proper diagnosis take it to one of these places get the codes and repost the findings,there a few intelligent technicians in here that can help.

Reply to
TNKEV

Not true...... if the air bag lite is on, it does not mean that the system is turned off, it means that there is a problem and the air bag could prematurely go off or not go off in the event of a frontal accident. If the clock spring squib was broken it would cause the air bag to not be deployed.

There are a series of wires in the squib, some can break causing the air bag lite to be on while the others in the squib could be intact allowing the radio/cruise and horn to still work Have the system checked for codes, my bet.....the clock spring is bad.

The recall on that vehicle is lifetime, take it to the dealer and tell them your lite is/was on, they will have to check for codes at no charge to you, however, if they find a part that is not covered you will have to pay for the repair....dont wait untill you get into an accident to determine that yes it was a clockspring that caused your air bag to not go off

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks very much.

I have the code checked and is not related to Airbag. It is for gas fumes and it might be overflow when filling gas. The code was reset and the Airbag light is still on.

Reply to
JM

These are 2 different modules, you had the codes read for the engine controller not the air bag module. You cant pull an air bag code from the engine controller. take it back and tell them that you want to know what fault code is in the air bag control module....better yet, find another dealer and have them check for you

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks Maxpower.

I did not go dealer yet. I have autozone near my house. He read it for me.

Do you need a different scanner to read Airbag codes? Where is interface to read Airbag code is located?

Thank you,

Reply to
JM

I'm not sure I'd trust Autozone. My 96 Voyager has the check engine light lit. The MIL flashes out a code (72 as I recall) which isn't in my FSM (the table stopped one less for some reason). Someone here said it was related to the catalytic converter and I also found the same searching the net. I stopped by Autozone yesterday to have them check since it is free and they said it was the TPS! That seems unlikely for a few reasons. First, I just had the TPS replaced 6 months ago when I had a fuel pump problem (it wasn't the TPS after all). Second , the car runs just fine which usually isn't the case with a bad TPS. Third, there is a code for a TPS problem in my FSM, so if it really was the TPS, why would the computer output a code that isn't even in my manual?

Yes, I realize that the computer itself may be defective and flashing the wrong code, but that seems unlikely and if it were the case, why could the MIL light not flash the same erroneous code as is provided to the scan tool?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

the codes you get from them are only good for reference the auto parts stores want to sell parts,they probably sell a truck load of 02 sensors and EGR valves and such that don't fix the problem.in your case they probably told you the first code that came up and it was probably an old code from the previous problem with the TPS.I would say he wanted to sell you a TPS.

Reply to
TNKEV

I have no idea what kind of scanner they use, Take it to the dealer!!!

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
mic canic

Remember Mic, there are 2 parts to that recall, one would be checking for fault codes the other would be replacing the clock spring if the lite is on or under a certain mileage, if this vehicle had the fault code checked at one time and the dealer got paid for it, according to Chryslers records it would be considered a completed recall and not outstanding, The recall is the life of the vehicle...... Therefore, the OP should simply take it in to have the codes checked, If he calls the vin in, They may just blow him off telling him his recall was done

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
mic canic

"you can clcye the key 3 times and get a code from counting the flashes of the check engine lite"

How does this work? I read about this a while ago and tried it and was not helpful. Please explain again how should I count.

Re: Code check at Autozone, I was there and saw it myself. The scanner is the one the sell as well. I saw the code that was displayed and the description. So, in my case there was not anything fishy about this.

Thanks,

Reply to
JM

Some people just dont get it do they!!!! Nothing fishy going on. thats funny.... they have no idea what they are checking for and you just dont get it either.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

I went to auto zone and they checked my codes and told me I needed an 02 sensor,i bought one and put it in and my car still is having problems and check engine light is still on.

bet you have never heard that story have you Glenn? nothing fishy at all.

Reply to
TNKEV

LOL and the air bag lite is still on!!!

Reply to