1997 Chrysler Concorde intermittent transmission problem

My '97 Concorde has 80,000 miles on it, problems started at 74,000 miles with check engine light, but no shifting problems. Code showed bad torque converter, which was replaced. 6,000 miles later and now having problems intermittently with car stuck in "limp mode". TCM was replaced, they said ciruit was open. Worked ok for a couple weeks, then problem recurred. It does not happen every time, maybe once every 2-3 times of being started(sometimes more, sometimes less). Doesn't seem to matter whether car is cold or hot. Speedometer at times goes haywire, moves from zero to

60-70, then goes back to correct speed for being in limp mode. It is noticeable that when shifting into gear after starting the car, if it shifts hard to reverse, then I know it will be in limp mode for that time. Otherwise, with no hard shift, it will be fine. As long as the car remains running (if not stuck in limp mode) then it shifts perfect. I love the car, just not dependable, and dealer wants 2500.00 to tear it down to find out the problem. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks for your help.
Reply to
nowen

I forgot to include that the engine light is not on when the transmission goes into limp mode, and dealer says no codes are showing up. Thanks again for your input.

Reply to
nowen

Sounds like a bad speed sensor or more likely a bad ground somewhere. The trans uses the output of that sensor.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
mic canic

Thanks for the input. We took the car to the shop and had the output sensor replaced, wiring harness checked thoroughly (twice). Still having the same problem. Sometimes when you start it up it is in limp mode, other times it is just fine. No check engine light. We are at our wits end with this car! My husband takes his tools with him so when it does this, he unhooks the battery cables to reset computer, then it will work for that time. We're about to give up on this car and cut our losses. If anyone has any other ideas, we'd appreciate them. Thanks again.

Reply to
nowen

Reply to
mic canic

I wanted to say thanks to those who responded to my questions about the problems I was having with my Chrysler Concorde's transmission. While my brother was visiting, he checked out the wiring thoroughly again and did not find any problems. However, he found anti-corrosion material in the part of the wiring connector of the output sensor that plugs in the transmission. After he cleaned all that out, we now have a good connection and the car no longer goes into limp mode. It has been two months now, with no problems. I would never have thought the source of the problem would be something that was added to protect the connection actually caused the bad connection. (A transmission shop replaced the sensor, so I don't know if it came that way from dealer or if they added it). Just thought maybe others were having similar problems and this may also be their problem... Thanks again all.

Reply to
nowen