1997 Chrysler LHS Check Engine light

Hi All!

I have a '97 Chrysler LHS. When i stop at a traffic light and the transmission is in "D", i push the brake. The "Check engine" light is coming on for a second with the oil lamp and after off. If the lamps is on and i turn the transmission to "N" the lamps will off. When the car is going the light is off. Light only when i'm stop and the transmission is in "D" (or "3"). What is the bug? Any idea? That possible the oil pump become wrong? What should i do?

Thanks!

Reply to
toth.zoltan

Sorry...My english is poor. I'm just learning it! I'm Hungarian! Should i try again...?!?!

Reply to
toth.zoltan

Your post made perfect sense to me.

It is almost certainly a bad oil pressure switch - a very common problem, and what you describe is exactly how they behave. You should replace the switch and also have the pressure read by a real pressure gage temporarily hooked up, or check pressure first, then replace switch only if necessary, but 99% of the time with the Chryslers it is the switch going out of calibration due to internal seepage (minor leaking) and building up of pressure in the selaed connector cavity. The pressure check is just to confirm that there is not a real pressure problem.

Bill Putney

Thanks! I will see that...

Reply to
toth.zoltan

It appears that you did in fact understand his post.

Frankly, I missed the part about the CEL - in too much of a hurry getting ready for work. The oil pressure light has no connection to the computer that turns on the CEL - it is a dumb contact closure pressure switch, so the two are likely not related (except maybe a low idle speed condition).

Bill Putney

Reply to
philthy

Don't type in AOLese, man. The poor guy is having to translate.

Here's something for toth: Have you checked the oil level? On the dipstick, I mean. If it's low, stopping could be causing low oil pressure, and the lights could be working correctly.

Reply to
Joe

understand

did

OK - I understood you to mean it was a language problem.

Is this maybe a power drop at worst-case (warm engine, in gear at idle) low idle conditions - CEL lights don't usually go back out like that do they?

Bill Putney

I assume he meant the Check GAUGES light, which IIRC comes on whenever either the oil pressure light comes on or an overheat occurs.

Reply to
Steve

First-gen LH cars do. Trust me, I'm eternally thankful for it! My wife was driving our '93 years ago when a cheap-sh*t aftermarket waterpump decided to shed its pulley right off its shaft. The timing belt didn't jump and was sliding around the pulley which was wedged in the little bulge in the timing cover, miraculously. Wife didn't notice the climbing temp gauge until the "check gauges" light came on and the chime started dinging at her. She pulled over before the aluminum heads curled up like newspaper in a bonfire, so the only damage was a smoking (but still working!) timing belt and a new waterpump. I credit that little light with saving me a LOT of money and cusswords.

Now what I *don't* know for sure is if it also pops on when the oil pressure light does. I thought it did, but now that Bill said he thought that it doesn't get routed through the computer, I'm not so sure.

Reply to
Steve

2nd gen does not have Check Gauge light. But Stever says 1st gen does not (below), and that's all that matters for this thread.

I should have kept out of this since I only know 2nd gen, and this is first gen. I will say that on second gen, the wiring between oil pressure switch and the low pressure light has absolutely no connection to anything else - no computers, nothing - apparently not the case in

1st gen (with Check Gauge light). What you guys say ebout the OP probably meaning Check Gauge light (which instantaneously turns on and off with the problem) instead of CEL (which latches) makes sense. If that is in fact the case, then my original post about the pressure switch/sender unit almost certainly being the problem is probably right (IOW - in this case in spite of my not understanding everything, I lucked out and possibly gave the right answer). :)

Bill Putney

HI All!

Thanks for the answers!

So...My man changed the motor oil and the oil filter in the car. The CHECK ENGINE and oil pressure light turns on yet. Only when the car (and i think the oil) is hot. After i go about 15-20 mile and i stop at a traffic light. The transmission is in "D". The RPM falls down to 500-600 and the two light turns on. I change gear to "N" and that are off. No overheating! A water tempareture about 90 celsius.

Is the oil pump or crankshaft bearings can cause this problem??? Should i see any other sign if there are oil pump or shaft bearing problem??

Thanks!

Reply to
toth.zoltan

The first thing to do is check the oil pressure with a manual gauge, if it is ok, replace the oil sending unit. Then you need to find out what fault code is set (if any) by connecting a scan tool to the vehicle.

Reply to
maxpower

Ok! I will see that first... but...where is the oil pressure switch and sending unit? Where can i find them?

thx Sands

Reply to
toth.zoltan