1997 Neon code 44

Hi, I have a 1997 Neon with two codes that showed up on diagnosis (engine light codes). I disconnected the battery to clean the posts, so I can understand the 12 code I got (Direst battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles). However it's the second code that I don't understand (battery temp sensor volts out of range). Is it an actual sensor and does this code mean it has failed? If so, what is an approximate cost of these sensors and is it even nescessary to replace (I live in Edmonton, Alberta Canada where the temperature has actually warmed up a lot to -23 cescius). I really appreciate your taking the time with my post, thanks!

Reply to
Slaughterhouse

The battery temperature sensor is located at the front of the battery tray next to the battery hold down clamp. Its about the size of a pea and is retained by a pressed steel hex nut. Its connector is under the battery tray. The following info is from the Chrysler neon manual :... "The sensor is used to determine the battery temperature.This data ,together with the monitored line voltage, is used by the PCM ( powertrain control module) to vary the battery charging rate.System voltage will be higher at colder temperatures and is gradually reduced at warmer temperatures.The battery sensor is also used for OBD11 diagnostics. Certain faults and OBD11 monitors are either enabled or disabled depending upon battery temperature sensor input ( example: disable purge and EGR, enable LDP). Most OBD11 monitors are disabled below 20 degrees F". .....From the fuel system section of the manual...."The PCM uses the temperature of the battery area to control the charge rate.The signal is used to regulate the system voltage. The system voltage is higher at cold temperatures and is gradually reduced as temperature around the battery increases."...............To test the sensor you`ll have to remove it and take it indoors unless you have a heated garage: Disconnect the two-wire pigtail harness from the sensor.Attatch ohmmeter leads to the wire terminals of the pigtail harness. At room temperature of 25 degrees C an ohmmeter reading of 9000 to 11000 ohms should be observed.If out of spec replace. I`ve no idea of the cost but it looks cheap enough.Good luck.

Slaughterhouse wrote:

Reply to
steve piskor

Wow! Thank you very much! That was more information than I could hope for, thanks!

Reply to
Slaughterhouse