1998 Dodge Grand Caravan - ABS warning light on, vehicle running but gauges not working

Had the following problem twice - once after van had been driven around town most of day(start/stop) - once after van had been sitting in work parking lot all day

- Vechicle starts - But, temperature guage, Rpm guage and gas guage do not work - All other electirical (lights, radio, windows, wipers etc work) and morter is running. - ABS warning light stays on

- Let vehicle sit for a while, without doing anything, eventually vehicle starts normally and everything appears to be fine. No ABS warning light

Fuse - guages run on own fuse - instrutment pannel warning lights on their own fuse

first time it happend, I was not present not assume fuse problem -started up the van and everything work fine - pulled out gauges fuse looked okay but replaced anyway

Second time - 1.5 weeks later

- Started vehicle - ABS light came on - but no temp gauge, rpm gauge, no gas gauge - radio, ligts wipers etc..working

- turn off/off couple of times same problem

- let sit about 10 minutes started up and everything okay

I am really hoping that is some kind of know problem not a intermittent Fuse/Short/ground problem as they can take forever to find.

Has anyone heard/seen anything like that

Mark Lucas

thanks

Reply to
mgl

Hi Mark-

How old is your battery? My '98 was doing the dead gauges thing and I noticed the odometer and shifter display were flickering. Turned out the battery was weak - new battery and all has been perfect since. (I do not recall the ABS light being on.)

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton