1998 GC Power Locks lock when key put in ignition: Feature or Problem?

Hi, and thanks for helping.

I have just purchased a 98 Grand Caravan (GC) LE loaded. It has power locks and a remote keyless entry system and a factory car alarm. It was a great deal, but I can't contact the original owner for my problem. This was an auction purchase and the subsequent paperwork revealed a :

When I'm in the vehicle and I put the keys in the ignition, the power door locks all engage or lock. This is before I start the van, before I drive, and before the 16 mph auto lock thing happens. If I remove the key and reinsert the key, it will relock the doors again.

I do NOT like that feature. If it is a feature, how do I unprogram or program it to stop? Is there a relay to buy?

Please please help me. I'll be more than glad to share any knowledge I have or even make a modest Paypal payment (cash) to anyone who can help me here.

Thanks for your email or Usenet/group responses. Michael

snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMPLEASEoneringsales.com

Reply to
Michael Perry

This is not a factory feature. This has to be an aftermarket accessory. Look up under the dash for a module that doesn't appear to be from the factory. Let me know what you find (under the dash)

Reply to
Bill Sprague

revealed a repossession. Sorry for the dropped edit.

Reply to
Michael Perry

Thanks for the thought, Bill. I spent two weekends digging around with the underside of the van, I downloaded wiring diagrams from the internet using our Library's sources, called three radio "car talk" - type shows and came up with squat.

Finally, I broke down and took it to the dealer. Kenny from Eastgate Chrysler in Indianapolis is just about as close as you can come to being a God as you can get when it comes to Daimler-Chrysler products.

He told me that my passenger door lock switch was broken and that's what caused it. I hadn't noticed that before. It was stuck in the "lock" position, and when a key was inserted, the system could "see" a

3.3 volt "lock" command being sent by the defective switch. Still, it was very weird, as it didn't CONSTANTLY see the lock voltage command. In other words, I could unlock the doors inside after they had locked and they would stay unlocked...

Finally, after a $34 door lock switch and almost one hour labor, my van does every thing that it should when it should. I'm very pleased with it.

Bill, thanks for your thoughts and I hope that somewhere somehow this message thread helps someone solve this problem, too.

Cheers, Michael Perry snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMoneringsales.com

Reply to
Michael Perry

That would certainly do it. Glad you got it fixed.

Bill

Reply to
Bill