1998 Intrepid 2.7.

I have a small hole in the exhaust system . Its right behind the Catalytic Convertor on the drivers side ina kind of flex pipe. Midas suggest replacing the unit, cat converter,flex and pipe. That will cost $750. I cant see why I cant just get the flex pipe cut out and a new one clamped or welded in place. My regular mechanics advice was "just turn the radio up"

Keith

Reply to
Keith Phillips

Check their lifetime warranty. It is probably just on their cheap muffler. Try someplace else.

Reply to
Art

If it's a small hole, the size of a quarter or less, a good welder can 'fill it'. I do it all the time. Option 2 is to cut the exhaust and put a sleeve over the bad section (autozone sells a nice selection of exhaust sleeves. Option 3 is to buy a 'muffler repair wrap' somewhere like autozone and just wrap the thing up with the insulating rap/goop/screen/cramps that come in the kit.... although cat convertor generate a lot of heat.

Of coarse Midas wants a fortune to fix it. Don't ever go to a place like that, not even for an inspection. Go find one of the smalltown, out of the way but not-so-far away liitle shops owned by the guy who does all the work himself.

Reply to
Duncan

Reply to
philthy

Go to a small exhaust shop in your area. I had Midas tell me the same thing on my sons Escort, for $675 and I went to small shop locally that replaced just the flex section with a generic one for $75 installed. Most smaller shops that do their own custom stuff or bend their own tubes can do this for you.

Reply to
Jerry