1998 Intrepid gauges went blank, now wont start

Thanks "Max" and Bill. Odometer is reading last "known" mileage, and fails to accrue anymore miles while driving. Wonder how long it would take to diagnose. "Max", as far as the keys: I don?t THINK they have chips in them, because I just had the dealer punch me out a new one about 6 months ago, and it only cost me $15. As I recall from my GM products, a "coded" key cost far more and I can see the chip imbedded in the shaft of the key, are Chrysler products similar? I don?t know if this is the original anti-theft system or not. It has a little red flashing beacon on the top center of the dash and looks "factory" but I suppose could have been added. About 2 years ago, I took it to the dealer to have some "keyless entry" fobs made up, but they said at the time that one of the body modules were bad and that it would cost way more than the convenience to have it repaired. I wish I took notes, but they didn?t mention anything then about an "aftermarket" alarm system. They said that the module is not what would cost, but GETTING to it would. Hmmm. Oh well. I?m probably not going to take it in today as I have no ride back. Do you think "advance auto" free "check engine" light diagnostics may be equipped to pull codes from those modules? As mentioned before, my buddy?s could not. Bill, that "thousands of dollars" sure is nasty sounding. I must say clarify: this problem is NOT intermittent. It has not has not been right since the wife drove it home that night when the dash went out on her (and lit back up). It didn?t start for three days. Not sure why it decided to start, but it di after buddy put it in neutral. Now starts normally, bur all above symptoms persist. Even A/C is not working!! Confusing. If Dodge can figure it out in an hour, it would be well worth the money.

Reply to
Norm II

The saga continues: Well, all bets are off. It started this morning and after two seconds, it died. Tried 3 more times and once again wont even crank (sound familiar). Don't know if this all points to one "sure fire" thing, but here I sit, back to needing a tow just to get it to the dealer. Just for ha-has, I stayed in the car, locked it, shut the door, then opened it from inside. The alarm (car horn) started to sound. This is normal for this car since we've owned it, dont know if thats how a "factory" alarm system is supposed to work. I just tried that to see if that wouldnt work, maybe further pointing to a faulty "skim" module. I await any further input or tests, from you guys, but getting tired of "bothering" you about it as well. Perhaps we've exhausted the possibilities of "long distance" troubleshooting. Will keep you posted to the outcome of all this, even it's the proverbial bullet to end it's misery. Thanks

Reply to
Norm II

That's how my wife's 2001 Sebring factory alarm works.

-Thief breaks window, reaches in and opens the door, alarm then goes off.

This Sebring has the chip in key, but a key copy without the chip can open the door from the outside with no alarm sounding. When the non chip key copy is used to start the car, it only runs for a few seconds.

Reply to
who

This car is a 1998 Intrepid ES (2nd generation LH), so the "key trick" (turn key from off to on 3 times in quick succession WITHOUT starting engine) will not cause the check engine light to flash, as it did for earlier vehicles. 1998+ LH cars have the key trick, but they will display check engine codes in the odometer display. Unfortunately, not all codes will be displayed, just major ones, and certainly no codes from other modules. If there are no codes to display, nothing will show up in the odometer display.

Also, the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) was a new feature for LH cars for the 1999 model year, so a 1998 LH car should not have this feature. The illuminated check engine light implies that it probably wouldn't be a SKIM issue anyway.

Greg Houston

Reply to
GregH39432

I don't think this car would have the SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module) system, as it is a 1998 Intrepid. Chrysler added the SKIM option for the 1999 model year, it was not previously available for LH vehicles.

Reply to
GregH39432

what month in 98 is on the door Vin tag?

Reply to
rob

Neither my '98 nor '99 Concordes have SKIM, a fact that I am very thankful for.

From what I read on the LH car forums, SKIM is proof that technology can be a blessing or a curse. It makes DIY'ers more reliant on the dealer to do the simplest diagnostic and repair tasks at great expense, and impedes or eliminates being able to swap very inexpensive modules from salvage yards that otherwise would be perfectly interchangeable.

IMO, the benefits of things like SKIM are far outweighed by the costs and troubles they cause. I would even submit that many cars go to the junk yard early because people simply can't afford the greatly inflated costs of troubleshooting and repair of systems that otherwise could be fixed very inexpensively by the DIY'er.

Bill Putney

yeah technology is a fickle lady...sometimes its great, but it can really bite you at times.

and its made a lot of guys lazy these days too. no real troubleshooting skills from some guys I talk to!

Reply to
rob

from salvage yards that otherwise would be perfectly interchangeable.

Yeah, like a power steering cooler!

Reply to
Pete E. Kruzer