1998 Voyager Oil Light & Gas Gauge

Here we go again. I thought that the Gremlins in the Gauges disappeared when spring and warm weather came. But the cold weather is back, and the gauges (idiot lights) are acting up again. Gas Gauge: Worked fine all summer. Last night I filled the tank for the first time in a month. Started the car and the gauge showed "E" and the gas light and warning chime came on. Drove a few miles and the gauge needle bounced around and the light and chime came on intermittantly. Oil Gauge: Worked fine all summer. About five miles after the fill-up, the oil light came on-and-off, with the warning chime. Today, I noticed that the oil light and chime came on only after the car warmed up and only below 1100 RPM. The Gas Gauge continues to misbehave. I did the hold-trip-and-reset-buttons/ignition-key routine and got what seemed a normal cluster test sequence. I did the ignition key-on-off-on-off routine and the "Check Engine Soon" light blinked out the following sequence: 1-2-4-2-5-5. Anybody have any ideas what that sequence means... and just what is going on here?? Thanks, Kit

Reply to
kitkitleary

Hi Kit...

Not a mechanic, just reading from the book for you...

42 is the only one that counts, it says "An open condition detected in the ASD relay output circuit"

(ASD = Automatic Shut Down)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

First of all the codes that you pulled by cycling the key are not related to the problems you are having. You need to find someone with a scan tool that is able to read body codes from the BCM. And the ASD relay code you pulled would mean the vehicle did or does not start. Most people that have problems start disconnecting relays and connectors and all that, keep in mind if the key is on and you do start disconnecting things you may have set bogus codes. Thus causing problem to you and the person trying to fix your vehicle....Just a thought.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Code 12 means the battery's been disconnected once during the last 50 key on/off cycles

Code 42 means a lot of things:

-Autoshut-down (ASD) relay control circuit -- open or short detected in the ASD relay circuit.

-No ASD relay output voltage at the PCM -- open condition detected in the ASD relay output circuit.

-Fuel pump relay control circuit -- open or short detected in the fuel pump relay control circuit.

-Fuel level sending unit voltage too low -- open circuit between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit.

-Fuel level sending unit voltage too high -- circuit shorted to voltage between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit.

- No movement of the fuel level send> > Here we go again. I thought that the Gremlins in the Gauges

Reply to
jsanders

Reply to
jdoe

Can't comment on the oil guage, but the gas guage senders are notorious for failure, I'm told because of certain gasoline additives.

I changed mine(doing the same thing as yours) about two years ago. The chime drove me crazy until I got the time to change it out.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher