1999 3.3 voyager spark plugs

One more question for the experienced Chrysler mechanics...

I'm replacing spark plugs on this vehicle. I took the alternator and the upper alternator bracket off to access plug #1 as recommended in the manual, but 3 and 5 are impossible without further disassembly. The manual says to remove the intake strut, but I doubt that this will be enough. As far as I can tell, I will have to drop the exhaust pipe and come up from underneath.

I have changed plugs on earlier model 3.3 vans without taking apart everything the manual says to take apart, so I know there's more than one way to get it done. Do you guys have any good tricks? Should I just go ahead and drop the exhaust?

By the way, when did Chrysler hire the Marquis De Sade to design engine compartments?

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Dipstick

The funny part of all of this is that the three in front were burned up when I took them out, and the one in back was REALLY burned up. I'm guessing that somebody else gave up on it about 50,000 miles ago.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

I tried following the book on my 98 3.3 Caravan. Their procedure does NOT work. You can't get to the bracket on the back of the intake plenum. Go from bottom. no need to disconnect anything. Just patience and a good set of socket adapters. Been there - done that.

I'm going to have them replaced by the shop on my next 41TE transmission overhaul. The interval is about the same. Presently 133k mi. Transmission $ 1600 @ 110mi. Still better than my last Caravan, let go at 120k mi and third transmission.

BTW I owe a debt of thanks to all the posters that helped me with radiator drain problems.

Also the sway bar rubber bushings still looked good when I removed them but the new ones ( $ 12 ) do NOT clunk !!!!!!!!!

The advice about not letting the parking brake pedal not slam up has helped tremendously with that sorry POS design.

Now if I can just get the door lock system, etc working.

Reply to
eefudd