1999 Cirrus Air Conditioning problem

Every once in a while my 99 Cirrus will only blow out hot air when you turn on the air conditioner. Sometimes you can turn it back off and then on and it starts cooling. Other times it seems like the car has to sit for a while for it to work. When it does work, it cools fine. At last oil change, I had them check the freon level and was told it was OK (pressure was about 35). Mechanic suggested electrical problem. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance

Reply to
mwitcza

My inclination is to tell you to ignore what the mechanic told you and to assume that the refrigerant is right at the minimum to satisfy the computer that there is enough refrigerant. The sporadic running is caused by ambient and system temperature variations putting the system pressure above and below the cutoff threshold.

Bill Putney

Funny you should bring this up, my sister in laws Cirrus has been having the same issue. I even drove it to work the other day to try to get it to act up and it did one time, I turned the a/c off then back on and it work without an incident on the way back home from work. eveything checked out good, no loose wires. The system was fully charged. She bought the car over Thursday complaining it didnt work again, I turned it off and back on and heard the compresor kick on. Either it was a coincidence or there is a problem in her control head.

Just a thought, possibly the same problem you are having?

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

Could this also be a sign of moisture in the system? A drop hits the orifice and freezes up, blocking the system, so it stops cooling, then after it sits (and thaws), it starts working again?

Bill Putney

Reply to
philthy