1999 Dodge B1500 Van Electrical Problems?! help! :)

Ok,

I've checked all the "visable" fuses I could find and all seem to be good this is the problem.

I got in the van and started it up and now I have:

No Wipers No Radio No Overhead Console Lights No A/C Blower No Power Windows No Turn Signals and my ignition switch is stuck in the "ON" position.

I can start the car up just fine and it drives with no problems.

My headlights, brake lights, exterior lights all work, electric door locks, dashboard lights, clock all seem to work.

It really looks like I've "BLOWN" something but I can't figure out where. All the fuses in the fuse block in the dash look good as do all the ones under the hood. Of course this doesn't mean that the ones that don't have a "window" to look at look fine. I don't think the ignition switch is bad because I can still start the car it's just "stuck" I think as a result of whatever is "blown" but I could be wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone have access to a factory service manual for this year that can look at the wiring diagram and see if there's something I'm missing?

Also this is a custome conversion van, not sure if that matters in this case but you never know!

Reply to
sdelic

If you don't feel you can justify purchasing an FSM, it might be worth it to you to purchase an AllData on-line subscription for $25 (a year, $15 renewal after that or for any additional vehicles). That will give you immediate access to the very schematics that are in the FSM for that specific vehicle (plus full TSB's and much of the FSM descriptive and procedural info.).

HTH

Bill Putney

I had a problem like this with an old Toyota. Two pins in one of the harness connectors somehow got hot enough to soften the surrounding material, allowing contact to be lost. It was hard to find. I would suggest checking all of the harness connectors to ensure that all pins are making good contact. There may also be a fautly ground.

I agree with Bill in that good wiring diagrams are a must. A FSM or an Alldata subscription should be able to provide what you need.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Reply to
philthy

I have had great success using a good contact cleaner. The best one is DeoxIT

When the metal on connector pins start to oxidize, more current is required to get through the surface and the surface begins to heat up. Over time it will finally fail. Deoxit, cleans or deoxidizes the surface and protects it. Works great on all electrical connections. I came across it since it is spec'ed out by many automotive and aviation mfg's. Works great around the house also; batteries, audio/video, etc. Mike

Reply to
mkim54

I tested all the fuses with a meter tonight and all check out just fine. I tried removing the main harness connector right behind the stearing wheel but I couldn't get it to come out. Does anyone have the procedure to do this? the top of it comes loose when I loosen the bolt in the center but it's like just the top is wanting to give. I'm kinda paranoid about just pulling on it really hard.

To recap as maybe someone has a clue with further help:

What doesn't work:

Wipers Turn Signals Radio Windows ABS and Airbag Lights are "ON" Cig Lighter A/C Blower Ignition is stuck in the "ON" position but starts van just fine

What Does work: Headlights Running Lights Reverse Lights Hazard lights (But turn signals don't) Electric Locks Door Buzzer Check Engine Light is "OFF" Check Gauges is "OFF" Clock Dashboard Lights Gauges

This problem just happened like "THAT".. I had driven it earlier in the day with no problems. The engine/trans run just fine and the brakes and all work, just none of the above. Anyone else have any insight please feel free !

Reply to
sdelic

Hi...

Not a mechanic; just an old retired electrical guy. Worse, not yet at all comfortable with chrysler as I used GM all my life, so... forewarned is forearmed :)

Did you check the fuses in the power distribution box in the engine compartment? Some of them don't look like fuses as I know them. A little larger than the older blade type fuses, with rounded tops.

Have you looked at fusible links? Dunno what they look like in Chryslers yet, hopefully the experts here will tell you, and maybe even where they are. They should be sort of like large bulges in series with a wire... I _believe_ you should be able to find one in close proximity to the alternator, and in series with one of the alternator wires. Do NOT jumper it with a piece of wire!!!

Just a thought...

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Y'know, I'm suspecting your trouble is nothing more or less than a faulty ignition switch.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You know I've thought about that, only thing that keeps me from thinking that maybe is the case is the fact that I can actually start the van. Also another thing is when this happened I couldn't actually use the remote door locks, they didn't work, then I jiggled some wires around and they started working, but nothing else.

Could a simple iginition switch cause all this other stuff to short out?

Reply to
sdelic

...so? The "start" contacts are separate from the numerous other contacts in the switch.

A faulty ignition switch could easily cause your list of non-working items to stop working. You don't know that they're "shorted out".

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern