1999 Dodge Neon Highline door switch

Always works on the passenger door but a lot of the time, lately when driver's door is open the dome light doesn't come on and the door ajar light doesn't come on. About 10% of the time it works. I know that older cars had a plunger that when the door was open, the plunger came out by a spring and closed the circuit thus activating the dome light and when the door and was closed the plunger was depressed causing the circuit to open and turning the light off. Long question short, does the Neon have some kind of plunger inside of the door, and if it doesn't, how does it detect the door position?

Reply to
zimpzampzormp

The factory manual says there is a door jamb switch, and the wiring diagram shows it; but I don't find an actual location for it shown in a pictorial.

Reply to
Steve

There are 2 of them. One for the dome light and one for the "door ajar" warning lamp in the dash. They are at the bottom of the door jamb on the latch end. I was looking at the hinge side. Anyway the one that controls the dome light seems to be sticking a bit. Can I put a lube on it? The one for the door ajar warning seems a little less sticky but it does stick a bit.

Reply to
zimpzampzormp

If you need to replace the switch. NAPA has them for a reasonable price. See napaonline.com

-KM

Reply to
KirkM

replace the switch one screw and a plug