1999 Intrepid 2.7L that ate a sparkplug

I have a question relating to a 1999 Dodge Interpid that ate a spark plug at 160k. I have pulled the head and found that is toast - tiny ceramic peices puverized into the head on cyl #5. The piston is also pretty scuffed up and I have thoughts of dropping the pan and replacing that. Alls good except the sleeve is also toast and I have the question if I can press in a new one. I found a place that makes sleeves (LA Sleeve) but I don't know if I can replace it or not myself. I would rather not pull the block but I think you have heat the whole thing to 400F and I can't do that in the car (unless I start a fire under it which has occured to me albeit for other reasons).

Is there a slide hammer that will pull it? Can I replace the sleeve anyway or is it cast in?

I would really appreciate any feedback or guidance you can give me.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff W

You'd be smart to consider changing the engine to a different one (the

3.2 or 3.5). There are sites that give the information on what's involved to make the change, including costs (maybe someone here can provide a link).

The 2.7 engine has certain risks that may come to fruition after you spend all that time and money to make it right again - all that money down the drain. Sell the engine - they are in short supply (and demanding high dollar) because of said risks, and someone will be willing to rebuild it - let them take the risk.

You might check out the

forums - there's a guy that hangs out there that makes a living in rebuilding bad 2.7's.

Bill Putney

Thanks Bill. I will have to consider that - it seems that there a lot of these motors in junk yards with 'knocks'.

Jeff W

Reply to
Jeff W