1999 LHS timing belt question

I am preparing to change the timing belt, etc., on my 1999 Chrysler LHS, and would like to know if a puller is really necessary to remove the harmonic balancer. I do not have a puller of the type shown in the Haynes manual, and I would rather not buy one unless really necessary. Some other cars recommend a puller, but careful use of pry tools will work. Any info appreciated. Scotter

Reply to
Scotter

You WILL NOT pry that pulley off, it will only come by using the correct intended, designed for THAT job puller. No $9.00 three jaw crap from Sears.

That said... If changing the timing belt, take all the covers off (there's a little one on the bottom), than pull a bit of belt forward thru between the spokes, then turn the crankshaft, the belt will walk around a bit and then be free (it's a rope trick thing) watch it carefully as it's happening so you'll know how to do it in reverse when installing the belt.

Yes, this really works, no, it doesn't damage the belt if done properly.

Here is the correct puller if you have to have it.

's another version
If you're doing the belt, you should replace the water pump, if you're replacing the water pump you need to remove the right side rear timing belt -rear- cover, there are O-rings between that cover and the block that shrivel up and leak, mimicking a leaking water pump, eventually corroding the aluminum cover to the point where it is junk. Removing the right rear timing belt cover requires removing the cam sprocket, you'll need the factory cam timing tool because the cam sprocket is not pinned to the camshaft and half-assing it will result in problems. The cam sprocket bolt is very very very tight -and- they used a lot of loc-tite, so tight it may stop you in your tracks.

Doing the whole job correctly -does- require some special tools and may not necessarily be a DIY job.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

aarcuda gave some excellent advice and agrees with my own experience replacing the timing belt on a 1996 3.5L Eagle Vision.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
Scotter

Perhaps AutoZone will have the correct tool. Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

I agree. I didn't pull the pulley off on mine either. No problem.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
philthy