1999 LHS timing belt question

Threaded View
I am preparing to change the timing belt, etc., on my 1999 Chrysler LHS, and
would like to know if a puller is really necessary to remove the harmonic
balancer. I do not have a puller of the type shown in the Haynes manual, and
I would rather not buy one unless really necessary. Some other cars
recommend a puller, but careful use of pry tools will work. Any info
appreciated.
Scotter

Re: 1999 LHS timing belt question

You WILL NOT pry that pulley off, it will only come by using the
correct intended, designed for THAT job puller.  No $9.00 three
jaw crap from Sears.

That said...  If changing the timing belt, take all the covers
off (there's a little one on the bottom), than pull a bit of belt
forward thru between the spokes, then turn the crankshaft, the
belt will walk around a bit and then be free (it's a rope trick
thing) watch it carefully as it's happening so you'll know how to
do it in reverse when installing the belt.

Yes, this really works, no, it doesn't damage the belt if done
properly.

Here is the correct puller if you have to have it.
http://www.cartools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product
_Code=OTC6267&Category_Code=EG
here's another version
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis49650.html

If you're doing the belt, you should replace the water pump, if
you're replacing the water pump you need to remove the right side
rear timing belt -rear- cover, there are O-rings between that
cover and the block that shrivel up and leak, mimicking a leaking
water pump, eventually corroding the aluminum cover to the point
where it is junk.  Removing the right rear timing belt cover
requires removing the cam sprocket, you'll need the factory cam
timing tool because the cam sprocket is not pinned to the
camshaft and half-assing it will result in problems.  The cam
sprocket bolt is very very very tight -and- they used a lot of
loc-tite, so tight it may stop you in your tracks.

Doing the whole job correctly -does- require some special tools
and may not necessarily be a DIY job.

Re: 1999 LHS timing belt question
aarcuda gave some excellent advice and agrees with my own experience
replacing the timing belt on a 1996 3.5L Eagle Vision.

 Bob

Excellent Advice removed

Re: 1999 LHS timing belt question
Thanks to you and aarcuda.
Appreciate the info.

Re: 1999 LHS timing belt question
I agree. I didn't pull the pulley off on mine either. No problem.

Re: 1999 LHS timing belt question

--------------4D69C80FF2DDCF8A608AF65D

you can index the cam shaft to the gear with the use of a sharp punch and gently
making witness mark thru the pulley. u will see a small hole on the bac side i
use to use paint but it came off to easy find a punch that fits the hole and it
will be easy to recenter
please note install the new beltcounterclockwise when u install it

--------------4D69C80FF2DDCF8A608AF65D

you can index the cam shaft to the gear with the use of a sharp punch and
gently
bac side i&nbsp; use to use paint but it came off to easy find a punch
that fits the hole and it will be easy to recenter
LHS, and
harmonic
manual, and
href="http://www.cartools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product ">http://www.cartools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&amp ;Product</a>
href="http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis49650.html ">http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis49650.html </a>

--------------4D69C80FF2DDCF8A608AF65D--

Re: 1999 LHS timing belt question
Perhaps AutoZone will have the correct tool.
Bob  AZ

Re: 1999 LHS timing belt question
i'm guessing that it is a 3.5  if it is. the new belt can be sneaked by the the
lower pulley assembly without removing it
the crank bolts are loctighted in place and have been known to break off in the
crankshafts and that includes not using airtools to remove

Site Timeline