1999 T&C AWD coolant leaking

The 1999 T&C starts leaking coolant on floor since last month. Took it to dealer and they diagnosed as pressure switch problem and replaced it. Luckily/unluckily the pressure switch was just replaced few months ago and still under warranty.

For one or two weeks, the coolant stopped leaking. Now it is losing it again. What else could be wrong? Since my wife is driving it mostly, I have no way to monitor if it ever overheat. At least from my short 15miles test, I did not see that overheat from instrument panel.

This car also becomes pretty slow to pick up speed. It took much longer time to shift gear from one to two and two to three. Stepped hard on accelerator will noticeably speed up the gear shift, so I guess the tranny is still OK. I just feel the gasoline does not go through as fast and smooth as before.

It is now at 101k miles. Started from around 95k, I noticed this problem especially when the van is fully loaded and AC is on in hot weather. Is it possible that AC system is "dragging" the performance?

I have spent almost $3k so far this year and I still can not see where is the destination...I heard that Chrysler engine is pretty durable, that's why I decided to spend so much trying to keep it longer. It seems the local dealer did not plan to keep me as a proud American car owner. Should I look for a new Japanese or another skillful/trustful place in my area? I am located in Fairfax, Virginia. The philosophy of the dealer is they never recommended any scheduled maintenance since "not all parts will go bad at the suggested time". They do not suggest customers to check anything even when the schedule/mileage is up as their excuse. This may work for people who knows car pretty well and knowing when and what to check. For my wife, she does not even remember when to change oil until I remind her...

Thank you for any input.

Reply to
harry

For your edification, I think by "pressure switch" you maybe mean "thermostat"?

You're sure it is coolant (water with antifreeze) and not just plain water on the floor?

A coupls of possibilities come to mind: (1) Needs new spark plugs (time for them at that mileage)? (2) Fuel filter needs replacing?

Check for any codes?

Perhaps someone here can recommend a good dealer or independent mechanic in your area. I'm thinking the D.C. area may not be the best for dealerships.

Bill Putney

Check where the coolant is coming from. At that age and mileage, if it is the passenger side behind the front tire, then it is likely the water pump. (I just did my 1999 3.8L and it had just 65K miles...) You can remove the front wheel and plastic inner fender pretty easily to see the pump and confirm the diagnosis. At 100K, you need a lot of PM service that should also be done. If you do the pump, replace the serpentine belt and check the tensioner and idler.

PS I have no idea what a "coolant pressure switch" is on this vehicle. Possibly the radiator cap or the thermostat?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Check where the coolant is coming from. At that age and mileage, if it is the passenger side behind the front tire, then it is likely the water pump. (I just did my 1999 3.8L and it had just 65K miles...) You can remove the front wheel and plastic inner fender pretty easily to see the pump and confirm the diagnosis. At 100K, you need a lot of PM service that should also be done. If you do the pump, replace the serpentine belt and check the tensioner and idler.

PS I have no idea what a "coolant pressure switch" is on this vehicle. Possibly the radiator cap or the thermostat?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I guessyou are right.

It is colored water, I have to refill the coolant several times.

I did.

Wii try this.

Dealer reported no code found at this moment.

Reply to
harry