2.5 turbo 87 labaron won't start

Having trouble get 87 2.5 turbo to start. The computer is new, the distributor is new, coil is new. Have fuel pressure but do not have any spark. No codes show up. It ran fine then just died one day. The timing belt looks ok. I an unable to get any spark at all and when you check positive side of the coil, it is dead. I have checked all vaccum lines and plugs.

I am at a loss where else to look. Thanks for any input.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Merrick

and when you check

As in, no +12V to the coil? If so, that should be a big clue to the problem. Trace the +12V and find out where it stops (do you have a vehicle electrical schematic?).

Bill Putney

Checking the positive side of the coil is not as simple on this car as it used to be before engine control computers came along. You can't just turn the ignition switch to "On", put a voltmeter to the positive primary coil wire and expect to find +12V.

If you have no spark, it's probably because the computer isn't turning on the Auto Shutdown relay, and it's probably not doing that because it probably doesn't see a distributor signal, and it probably doesn't see that because the hall effect pickup in the distributor is probably dead.

To check, disconnect the battery (either remove the negative cable terminal or pull apart the plastic disconnect in the positive cable) for about 2 minutes. Reconnect, attempt to start the engine, and check the codes. If you see a code 11, put in a hall effect pickup assembly.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

Reply to
Mike Merrick

They sold you the wrong Hall Effect sensor.

Turbo engined vehicles have to have the dual Hall sensor, no way in hell it will run with the single distributor pick up.

When you order parts, you need to make it perfectly clear that your engine is a turbo otherwise you'll wind up getting the wrong parts like the Hall Effect sensor, MAP sensors, etc.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

And when was that? Before or after it first wouldn't start?

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

Ah. Well, then. You're missing a wire. More specifically, you've got the wrong pickup assembly.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern