2.5L 4Cycl engine problem

Hello All,

I have a 91 Acclaim with 4 Cydlinder 2.5L engine. As i drive half hour ago, I got oil warning light on. I pulled over and findout the engine was pouring oil down. I could not locate where the oil was coming from as it was snowy outside.

It comes from the behind the engine, and i pours down where the oil plug is. I checked the oil plug and it is there and thight. I cannot think of anywhere else where it might leak. Can you think what might be problem.

PS: oil is not dripping but pouring. the pulley side or transmision side or front side are all looks clean. only behindthe engine it pours.

Ulas.

Reply to
ulas c coskun

oil, like water runs downhill. find where it is pouring off, and look above it. always look to the highest point and work your way down. also start front the front and work your way back. driving down the road, the air flowing in around and under the car will cause the oil to 'blow back' and drip off something that's not really leaking.

be sure and also check the oil pressure sending unit. they can crack and squirt oil out the top. also check the oil filter for any issues there. has a recent oil change been done?

Reply to
Rob

If your Acclaim has the original stamped-steel valve cover, this would be a good place to start checking for the leak. I had a 1990 Dodge Spirit, and I replaced the valve cover with an aluminum one to solve the leaking problem. There were many reports on this NG about the leak problem.

I also had a problem with the front camshaft seal leaking. I had the seal replaced, and that fixed it.

Finally, the headgaskets are known to fail on these engines too and may cause leaks such as you describe.

-KM

Reply to
KirkM

How much of the above would you do on a 20 year Chrysler product??

Reply to
Pete E. Kruzer

:) I donto know. Money is tight and I like this car. If it is running, It rolls. Last big trips I had in thi sold timer is a ny-Boston- niagara chicago loop chicago-dallas loop, and a chicago- ocean city, Md. all of them are done within last 6 months.

I put its second engine in 2008 January. I'm proud of it. It is from SF, CA, and I drive it to Durham, NC, then I took it with me to Urbana, Il.

Mechanics told me he will tell me what's the problem tommorrow.

Reply to
ulas c coskun

e quoted text -

Reply to
ulas c coskun

"There as a big hole in the pan. Something punctured into the pan."

well that would explain it then huh? lol Watch what you run over!

Reply to
Rob

snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...

it turned out I did not run over anything actually. it looks like the hole is done much earlier, years earlier and somebody plugged it with some kind of soft material like silicon. We found the plug in the oil pan. I guess when I back out, snow pressed the plug in.

Now I feel like I get too much white smoke. It is very cold but the other cars donot smoke that much. I will keep an eyes on it.

Reply to
ulas c coskun

check your coolant level. then with the radiator cap off, start the engine and look for bubbles in the coolant. if none, then put the cap on and check it again at your destination. hopefully your heads and head gaskets are OK.

make sure the smokes actually white and not a really light blue.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...

it turned out I did not run over anything actually. it looks like the hole is done much earlier, years earlier and somebody plugged it with some kind of soft material like silicon. We found the plug in the oil pan. I guess when I back out, snow pressed the plug in.

Now I feel like I get too much white smoke. It is very cold but the other cars donot smoke that much. I will keep an eyes on it.

Reply to
Rob

Today, it is warmer, I donot get as much smoke. I think it is ok but still too much white smoke compared to other cars.

Reply to
ulas c coskun

keeping in mind it is 20 yrs old....have you done a compression test?

how many miles on this beast?

Reply to
Rob