2.7 tranny fluid leak near radiator

Have noticed a tranny fluid leak, which appears to be coming from one (or both) of the hoses near the radiator on the driver's side of my '02 Stratus. The shop I deal with confirms it's transmission fluid.

Am having the shop look up the repair cost tomorrow (it's Sunday, so no dealers are open) but was wondering if this is an elaborate repair job? Looks like a lot of stuff has to be moved (or removed) to access the hoses.

Thanks for any opinions.

Reply to
LarryK

This is a common occurrence on the LH cars, and it almost always turns out to be that the small screw clamps on the tranny lines have gotten loose - simply tighten them - can be hard to get to though. Not sure if the Stratus has the same kinds of clamp connections in the tranny cooler plumbing. Don't let them replace the hoses if that is all it is ($$).

Reply to
Bill Putney

Well, I wondered if the clamps could be the problem. I thoroughtly cleaned the area with Simple Green and a garden hose, and it appears the wet spots are in the area of at least one of the hoses, near the clamps. You're right: they look like a bear to tighten.

Might consider a second opinion, although this shop has been trustworthy in the past (not a dealer).

Thanks, Bill.

Reply to
Dillon Family

You're welcome.

Not saying they're not being trustworthy - it's just too easy for people to say that "that hose is leaking, so replace it". They don't feel the pain by saying that, and the customer doesn't know anything other than what they're told - whip out the plastic. I just happen to know that better than 9 times out of 10 on the LH's, it's a simple matter of tightening the clamps - the hoses last a long time.

One warning: If you're using Simple Green, only use the "Automotive" Simple Green. "Regular" Simple Green is damaging to rubber and corrosive to metals It's even been posted on forums I participate in by people in the aircraft industry that it is banned for use due to it's corrosion of metal.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Thanks again, Bill. Advice taken.

Larry

Reply to
Dillon Family

But how in the world can you reach those hose clamps? On my Stratus, it look like I'd have to disassemble part of the plastic mess over that end of the radiator to get to it?? The slots on the screws are turned away from where they can be accessed with a bendy screwdriver.

Reply to
Dillon Family

You answered your own question. :)

Maybe combine it with replacing accessory belts and/or idler/tensioner pulleys if they're due? Or is the stratus engine transverse?

Reply to
Bill Putney

I believe it's transverse...the belts and accessories are on the opposite side of the engine.

Timing chain/belt replacement perhaps?

Larry

Reply to
Dillon Family