2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager Engine Disaster

Hello all...

The vehicle in question is a 2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager, equipped with the

3.3L V6 flex-fuel engine. It has 195,570 or so miles on the odometer. It was going on down the highway one day when it lost power, stalled and rolled to a stop. Upon going to collect it, we found that the engine would start but it ran very poorly and seemed to be out of time. (Some of you might remember my initial post about this approximately one month and some weeks ago.)

In that time, we moved the Honda Prelude off the driveway and put it aside.

With the help of one of my brothers, we dropped the oil pan to see what the timing chain looked like. The timing chain is there and might be OK. This concludes the good news portion of our broadcast. Inside the bottom of the oil pan were three large chunks of metal that as best we can tell are the remants of the #2 cylinder piston skirt and a wrist pin. The piston is still connected to the connecting rod and will move when the engine is rotated manually.

There was a surprising amount of sludge in the oil pan. It came a shock to see it, since the van has had its oil changed regularly. It was run on synthetic (Mobil 1) oil of the correct rating. Only occasionally was conventional oil used, and that was when we did not do the changes ourselves. (And yes, we checked the dipstick shortly after having any car lubrication business change the oil.)

So...that leaves me with a few questions. First off, how could this have happened? Was there something we should have been doing, adjusting or using? It doesn't seem like it. Secondly, how likely is it to be worthwhile to repair this or even investigate it further? My brother tried looking up into the cylinder but I don't think he was able to see a whole lot.

There's a video here if it might help anyone to see what happened and the sludge that had accumulated in the oil pan:

The failure mode is discovered around the 8th minute.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

It is difficult to understand how that could have happened. I had a neighbor that drove his 3.3L Dodge Dynasty for over 265,000 miles before he finally got tired of it.

The 3.3L has a pretty good reputation for longevity.

KM

Reply to
KirkM

that's a lot of sludge.........how long were you going between oil changes? and what oil was being used?

Reply to
Rob

Hi!

Approximately 3-5,000 miles depending upon how it was being driven.

Mobil 1 synthetic was used just about exclusively with this engine. Only a few times was non-synthetic oil used.

I am at a complete loss to explain the failure. This van's been driven a lot (200,000 miles in nine years seems like it to me) but I would swear to you that it has been maintained well and not mistreated.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

pull a valve cover, take some pics of the sludge if any, then reply back.

Reply to
Rob

Is it possible that coolant was maybe getting into the oil?

KM

Reply to
KirkM

Hi!

I haven't seen any sign of such a thing. The oil in the pan was normal at first and sludgy further down in the pan without being "milky". (I'd have to think it would look milky if it had been exposed to coolant.)

I'm at a loss to explain this failure. This van and its engine were running perfectly well by all accounts and observations. And it died, just like that, while going down the highway?

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

coolant in small amounts wont always change color of the oil. depends on how much was in there. see it all the time.

Reply to
Rob