2000 Intrepid with sludged 2.7

A local credit union is auctioning a 2000 Intrepid. It notes "engine damage" in the vehicle description, and that no "test drive is possible."

I am guessing the engine is sludged up, so the owner probably allowed it to be repocessed.

Is there an economical way repair the engine? I would guess that there is not a very good supply of used 2.7's in the salvage yards, and an dealer installed rebuilt or new engine would not be cost prohibitive.

The body and interior appear to be in good condition.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Post to

There is all kinds of expertise there on options for purchsing 2.7L engines (not worth rebuilding on your own), and also for the very popular option of replacing it with the 3.2 or 3.5 liter. Also - I know a guy posted there within the last two days that he is looking for an Intrepid in good shape with a bad engine (apparently he has a spare engine that he would like to make use of).

Bill Putney

Here's that thread on

Bill Putney

You are correct about the supply of used 2.7 engines. I live in the Memphis TN area and about 2 months ago I called the local junk yards. They charge $1200 to $1400 for any usable 2.7L engine and nobody had any in stock that day. One guy said the local insurance adjusters charge $500 more for a car with a usable 2.7L engine versus another car with a usable engine (ie when the insurance companies sell the wrecked cars to the junk yard).

One junk yard said he had a good 3.2L engine for $600 and if I called back in an hour or so he could give me the name of a mechanic that has done the conversions.

Reply to
Mark3571

Don't forget too that, according to posts on DI.net, a dead 2.7 has a core value of a few hundred dollars (seems I remember figures on the order of $400-$600).

Bill Putney

The best thing is to toss the 2.7 and swap in the superior 3.2 or 3.5 engine.

Google around- there are a number of websites that explain the procedure or even offer the service. Replacing 2.7s with 3.2s was a booming cottage industry for a while there!

Reply to
Steve

Ah, this brings back memories of the late 80s and early 90s and the Cadillac HT4100. One of those things would FLY out of a junkyard at exhorbitant prices if it would just start and idle... because most of the Cadillacs that even came to the junkyard did so because the 4100 had turned to slag :-/

Reply to
Steve

I would pass on it, unless it was a give away.

Reply to
who