2000 LHS Brake Noise

I have a 2000 LHS with 57,000 miles. There is an intermittent low speed grinding brake noise that can be heard at low speed when stopping. I replaced the front rotors and brake pads two years ago and the rear brake pads last year. Should I relubricate the caliper pins periodically? Are there any suggestions as to what other things could cause the problem? In a previous post on July 1, Greg wrote about squeaking brake disk shields. Before I jack up the car and started looking, I wanted to check with the group.

Thanks in advance, Ron Munroe Falls, Ohio

Reply to
Ron (Munroe Falls, Ohio)

If you suspect the pads could be worn by all means check them!! Yes there is a shield on the inside that could be touching the rotor, its a small piece of the dust shield at the bottom that could come in contact. If it is just bent it out.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

No harm in checking the rotor shield, but usually that emits a high-pitched squealing noise when rubbing the rotor.

Also check that rotor circumference reaches to the outside edge of the pads - there were screw-ups in the aftermarket listings for the LH cars that showed the smaller/earlier ('98/'99) LH rotors for the bigger rotor applications - and they would go on with no problem - would only be caught if the installer was paying attention to edge of rotor vs. edge of pads (or laying old rotor against new).

Bill Putney