2000 neon wheel bearing

I have a 2000 neon. When I drive down the road, and turn right, I hear a grinding noise in my front end. It was suggested to me that it was the CV axel. When I tried to rotate the axel it had no play in it. There is no snapping or creaking when i turn the wheel. My next guess was a wheel bearing. I jacked the car up, put my hands at 6:00 and 12:00 on the wheel and tried to see if there was play. It was really sloppy.

Assuming my troubleshooting technique was correct, it's the wheel bearing that is causing my problem. It is a sealed unit. How would I go about replacing it? Do I have to get it pressed in?

Mike

Reply to
Mikhael47

There's no slop when you put your hands at 9 and 3?

Have a helper look at the wheel/knuckle from underneath the car while you repeat the test. They'll be able to see where the 'slop' is coming from, and you'll more accurately pinpoint the problem. It *sounds* like a ball joint to me, but that's just conjecture.

You may have more than one problem, BTW. Eliminate what you know is wrong first, then proceed from there.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

It was the wheel bearing... whew.. what a job. I figured it would take me two hours.. ended up being almost 5.

Mike

Reply to
Mikhael47