2001 Caravan airbag light acting up

Hi all, My van has only 45,000 miles on it and on a recent trip I noticed that the airbag light now goes on and off in about 1-2 minute cycles, even when not moving the steering wheel. I know that there is a recall on earlier models to replace the clockspring, but none for this year. Has anyone else experienced this problem? What can I expect if I take it to a dealer to check out. I don't have an extended warranty. Seems like one defective thing after another with these vehicles. Poor heater operation, sway bar bushings, miniscule evap leak codes and now this. Rick

Reply to
Rick

maxpower

Reply to
mic canic

Check with your local dealer to see if the 91's have been recalled for clock spring failure. You may be among the first to experience the problem that we'll see if we keep our vans long enough.

Reply to
Bob Snyder

Reply to
maxpower

When do you ever "need" airbags may I ask?

Oh yeah I forgot -when your a dumbfuck and don't wear your seatbelt.

It's why they are called SUPPLEMENTAL Restraint Systems.

Just how exactly did a douchebag that exploded out of your steering wheel 'save your life'? Did your seatbelt split in half and the douchebag catch you?

Or were you one of those ones who don't wear your seatbelts because your afraid of driving off a cliff into a lake and not being able to get out in time? Hey, maybe the douchebag can serve as a flotation device!

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
mic canic

Who the hell is 'tim?"

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
mic canic

Yes they are. As a matter of fact, that was the whole point of my previous reply.

I guess I should be the one to break it to you Glen... Dogs are incapable of participating in an argument.

So, who the hell is Tim?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Uh-oh.... Darryl snapped his fingers.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

need to findout why airbag light staying on.I replaced rack and pinion gear while doing this steering wheel spun several times unhooked to rack. the horn and cruise also no longer work and the radio controls as well that are on steering wheel. thanks!

Reply to
4425241

You broke the tape wire in the clockspring by letting the steering wheel spin. Replace the clockspring. Make sure the steering wheel is centered when you install this part.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thank you maxpower!What the hach is a clockspring?will i need to take to deal i usually do my own repairs?thank you again!

Reply to
4425241

It is the wiring between the car and the electronics on the steering wheel... cruise control, air bag, horn, etc. It winds and unwinds as you turn the wheel. In some cases there have been recalls for clockspring failure but it sounds like you broke this one yourself.

Reply to
Art

What Art just said except there was no recall on a clockspring for that model

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Just to clarify, there was no recall on the 300M for clockspring failure. There were for other models so your dealer will be very familiar with the symptoms should you decide to bring it in for repair.

Reply to
Art

Any time you work with the air bag system you should always disconnect the battery and wait about 5 minutes because working with the air bag system