2001 Caravan sport heater malfunction

My dashboard leaks very cold air thru most all of the seams and especially thru the ignition switch/shifter area. My keys get freezing cold. It is freezing my (old) legs until the car really gets warmed up, in about 15 minutes, even after hot air starts coming from the vents. It does it in response to the fan speed, not car motion, and doesn't do it between floor vent and defrost setting. There must be a big ass leak somewhere between the blower and the heater core. The heat and ac on this vehicle are the least effective I have ever owned, even with the fan on high. My 96 GC didn't do this. I tried to remove the plastic around the radio for access, but could not find the screws holding it on, and it is hard to even get a hand under the dash anymore. Can anyone tell me what to look for? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Rick

At the bottom of the center console just abovr the cup holders, there is a small piece of trim. About a half inch tall. Pull out the cup holder tray and remove it, then pop off this piece of trim. It snaps in place. Under it are two screws, remove them and pull the entire center console face plate off. It has wires attached that work all the switches but they have plenty of slack. The radio will stay with the dash. This should allow you to see what you want.

Cecil Hayden

Reply to
Detailing Dude

Reply to
jdoe

I hope not, I bought it new from a 4star dealer. Got 40,000 mi on it now.

Reply to
Rick

Well then, it's still under warranty. Take it back to the dealer. Sheesh.

Reply to
Dan C

At 40k miles at most he only has a drivetrain warranty unless he paid for a service agreement.

Reply to
Art

You got it, beyond 36,000 mi, only drivetrain warranty. Besides, taking it to the dealer is a PIA. No loaner car available anymore to get to work, due, they say, to customers that bitched about getting a free Neon for the day while their 300M is worked on. I'd take an old back fence smoker any day. I simply cannot take it there, let them drive it around and say that they don't feel any cold air. I can hear it now. Anyone know of a TSB about this?

Reply to
Rick

will at least provide you with a list of TSB's. You'll have to subscribe to get the text or ask the dealer to print the relevent ones for you. A dealer did that for me when I asked.

Reply to
Art

I tackled the dash this morning, nice break in the weather, almost 60 deg out. I easily removed the front bezel per your instructions, and the radio. In the back of the radio space, at the very right side, is a 3/4in. open elbow connector that had no hose on it. It was blowing lots of air inside the dash area. It looked like it should have a hose on it, going across behind the radio to the driver side, as it's opening faced the drivers side. I removed the panels under the steering wheel also, looking for a dropped hose or even a matching connector. Nothing. So I covered the elbow opening with a piece of mettalic duct tape and reassembled. Waiting for a cold day to see the difference. Anyone have a 2001 Caravan manual that might say what that elbow should be connected to?

Reply to
Rick