2001 Concorde Trunk release

We can use the remote or the button inside and the trunk will release and open. BUt when you go to close it it will not lock and catch. You can manually move the assembly back down and it will lock back. If you do the same procedure with the key, no problem. It's just not resetting the latch once the truck is opened with anything but the key. Any ideas?

Reply to
David Nelms

I have never had the problem, but I just went outside and looked at the trunk latch and unlatching mechanism on my Concorde - and I see what has to be the problem, or at least can tell you what it is *not* so you can greatly narrow it down.

Please open the trunk lid and look at what moves on the latch/unlatch mechanism when you operate it (1) with the key, and (2) with the remote (or button inside the cabin). You will notice that both move the same unlatching lever, **BUT** they actuate that lever thru two independent means, to wit: The key operates the lever by pulling a black plastic link from the key cylinder; the remote causes an electric (solenoid) actuator assembly to swing a shaft-mounted white plastic "bat" (for lack of a better term) against a different lobe of the same unlatching lever.

From what you're describing, the above observation means that

**everything** is operating correctly **except** for the power actuator (the thing that swings the little white plastic "bat").

Sounds like something in that electric unlatch module is sticking in the unlatch state after it is actuated - either due to mechanical binding or it is staying electrically activated (my money's on mechanical binding since you say you can manually move it to the resting position and the lid will then latch). Your job is to determine why that is happening and remedy it by lubricating, repairing (maybe the bat's bent or broken and is getting stuck against the unlatching lever), or replacing of a part (like that actuator module - you'd probably do well to get that from a junk yard if that's the problem - unless you want to pay $75 to $100 for an entire latch assy. from a dealer).

Hopefully a little spray lube on the actuator module output shaft will loosen things up.

Bill Putney