2001 grand caravan window problem

My drivers side window recently started failing and I wondered if anyone had a similar experience and any idea of how to fix it. What happened was that the drivers side window (power) would go down fine, but give problems to go up. It may go up an inch or so then stop. When this problem started, I could just wait, up an inch, wait, up another inch (and pray for dry weather) till it eventually ended up all the way. Now it basically refuses to go up.

The dealer told me that the window regulator needs replacing, and the parts and labour would come to about $300.00. I can actually think of better ways to spend $300.00 and I would actually like the challenge of fixing it.

Anyone ever had to deal with this? If so, what is the solution? They told me that it's a very common problem.

any ideas would be appreciated.

Reply to
Alson

Your dealer is correct, it needs the regulator assembly and the only fix is to replace it, and if you are mechanically inclined you can do it very easily

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I don't know about the word "easy". If it is anything like the mechanism in the 300M it takes several tries for the dealer to fix it right.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
tim bur

You could cut the hole in the inside sheet metal a bit bigger, couldn't you?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

The 300 is easier then the Caravan

Reply to
damnnickname

Reply to
tim bur

Not to mention being totally unnecessary.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

A pet peeve of mine about to bring on a rant. I've changed a half dozen of these things, not just in Chrysler products, but in other vehicles also.

I've never had a bad gearmotor. it is always a small piece of plastic that turns a cable or a plastic rack gear depending on the design. so when this plastic gets a few seasons of temp changes and a little wear it breaks. For lack of a ten cent part (cost of manufacture) , you have to change a $300 dollar regulator assembly. I used to have a shed full of motors waiting for one of them to go bad. Never happened.

When I had my 93 T & C the first time one went out they serviced the plastic gear rack for about $30. I guess they were not making enough money so when the other side went out about a year later the rack gear was no longer serviceable and you had to buy the whole regulator. I could live with the fact that it was rivited in and required you to drill out the rivits and buy screws to replace, but all I needed was that cheap plastic rack gear.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

The part is a large assembly now because that is the trend. Car manufacturers are letting the vendors do most of the assemblies for them so there is less work to final assembly of a car. Unfortunately when something breaks you have to replace it with the whole assembly because that is how the factory buys it.

Reply to
Art

Chrysler could easily require the vendor to make spares available for stuff like this. It would cost the vendor little money to make and Chrysler little to store. The other question is why are they making this part with plastic that is this fragile. It would seem to me that the function of a quality assurance department at Chrysler is to review the spares inventory and if they see a large number of spares purchased for a particular part they might do a bit of investigating why, and require the vendor to redesign it. Not to simply continue to produce the same part year after year.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt