2001 Intrepid PCM Flash

Does anyone know what it would cost to have my PCM flashed? I have a pretty reliable local mechanic who can not do it and he recommends that I take it to the dealer, he said it could cost up to $600 to have it flashed, is this true?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Darrick

I got prices at dealers anywhere from $55 to $120 to have the TCM flashed on my '99 Concorde - I would assume that the PCM would be about the same.

Bill Putney

Reply to
mic canic

The problem I'm having, as stated by mechanic was that my PCM was putting out incorrect readings in contrast to what my tacometer is displaying.

My intial problem is, when my car heats up, don't mistake this for overheating, but what I would call normal driving temperature, somewhere inbetween the half way mark and one tic below that mark on the temperature gauge, my car will begin to idle crazy, high then low, then low then high, and sometimes even stall. If I try to floor the gas pedal while this is happening, my car won't rev above 4500 rpms, instead it gets there and starts falling back a little then up and down but never past 4500 rpms. Check engine light comes on.

When my car "cools" down it runs fine. Check engine light turns off. He says he checked all the grounds so he's sure it's not a wire problem. He did mention however that when he read the PCM while my car was started the PCM read 0 when in actuality the TAC was idling at about 750, and then when my car heated up to the "normal" driving temperature the PCM would read 10000 while the TAC was showing between

1000 and 1500.

He mentioned he had a guy who usually flashes the computers come and try to do it but he was unable to because he had to input the VIN number and this other stuff that was sort of "dealer proprietary"

Does this sound like something different than what my mechanic is telling me?

Thanks

Reply to
Darrick

Reply to