2001 intrepid questions

I'm thinking of buying a used 2001/2002 intrepid.

did chrysler ever fix the 2.7L engine problems?

dos anyone know the length of a 2001/2002 intrepid warranty in Canada? did they have the 7 year/100 000KM warranty back then?

Reply to
j j

and another question: is the 2.7L on the sebring the same as the 2.7L on the intrepid? meaning, do all V6 sebring owners have potential engine problems?

Reply to
j j

Dunno. I do hope so though. My '98 Stratus (with the 2.5) won't live forever and a newer car with the 2.7 seems the obvious choice. That is, if I ever find out from which year the 2.7 issues are being solved.

It is the same engine (and the same you'll find in 300M's as well). Engine development is so expensive that in general you can say that if you find 2 engines with the same size and roughly the same specs from the same manufactorer it is the same engine. And when they use turbo or superchargers the same engine the specs can be over 40% off while it is still the same engine. Sometimes different manufactorers share engines to save on costs. Among the finest engines Chrysler has been using over the years are several Mitsubishi products. 'My' 2.5 V6 is one of them and Mitsu has even used it with a bi-turbo on it. Martin

Reply to
Martin Boer

For the record, I think the 2.7L is not used in 300M's sold into the North American market, but is used in 300M's in Europe (and maybe other markets that I am not familiar with).

Bill Putney

does this mean I should avoid all V6 sebrings and Intrepid SE's ? Or avoild chrysler alltogether?

how's the acceleration with a 4 cylinder sebring?

Reply to
j j

Avoid the 2.7 in an Intrepid. Get a 3.2L or a 3.5L. Much more reliable, and much better suited to the job of hauling around a car of that size.

There may be block casting differences between transverse and longitudinal mounted 2.7Ls, you could sort that out with a parts book or an interchange manual. They are essentially the same, however, and share the same flaw, as I understand it. My local dealer has crates and crates of 2.7L engines lined up in the service reception area, something I've never seen before.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

most of the newer 300ms have the 3.5. hell of a good engine. The new ones starting in 05 should have a hemi in them. by the way.....rumor has it the charger will be re-introduced in 06 with a new 6.2 L hemi.

make sure you change the oil often enough in the 2.7s. seen several with a lot of sludge......the 2.7 oiling systems are not the best. 2.7's are damn expensive to replace here in our town. used $2500.00, rebuilt 5000.00 new

6200.00. ofcourse that was only one supplier. others might be cheaper.

keep in mind the Sebring coupes were Mitsubishi built. the sedans are Chryslers. same with the stratuses. i looked at a 98 Sebring coupe the other day that was all mitsu under the hood, trans included. it had a 2.5 in it.

Reply to
robs440

actually i think its the new 300c's that will have the hemi

Reply to
robs440