2001 LHS. Need new warranty

My Warranty is running out on my 2001 Chrysler LHS. So I need a new one. Chrysler dealer wants a little over $500.00 per year for 3 or 4 or 5 years.

Only 16K miles so far and little if any prospect that yearly mileage will be over 3K. Zero problems with the car.

Are there any better deals?

Thanks Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

???

7 year warranty? My '00 300m only had a 3 year warranty.

With only 16k miles, I'd say you need a new warranty about as much as you need a hole in the head.

Are you that insecure that you need to kiss money goodbye like that?

Get a grip. Save your money for your health care or for the grand kids.

Gawd, I hope I don't become that paranoid when I become a senior citizen...

Reply to
MoPar Man

I'm nicer than MoPar Man :), but I agree with him. Self insure whenever possible.

Keep up your regular maintenance. There's supposed to be a timing belt/water pump replace at 100k or 105k (I forget which - varies by year). You're not going to get there for years. I don't know if Chrysler has a time vs. mileage recommendation on that, but at some point, you might consider doing that well before 100k miles - maybe by the year 2012 or something at the rate you're going. Two years of not paying for an extended warranty will more than pay for that. Belts, hoses, and coolant before that. Those are all things that an extended warranty won't cover.

Your tires may be dry rotting in a couple of years too.

Bill Putney

Why? IMO a waste of money for your insignificant driving. At 5 yrs for $2,500, that will surely equal your cars value when it's 10 yrs old.

Well if you have the 2.7L V6 perhaps, but I'll bet the warranty exclusions wouldn't cover you for that engine blowing up. The 2.7L seems to end it's life at about 80k miles, so you have lots of time left.

Reply to
who

I don't think they put the 2.7 in the LHS.

Reply to
MoPar Man

I don't think any LHS's came with 2.7L. And they don't all die early - mine has over 200k miles on it.

Bill Putney

Bill Putney

My LHS has the 3.5.

Just a casual observation but the motor seems looser lately. Easily revs up to 3K or more when moving off at the stoplight. Used to go to just 2K. The oil level shows at the ADD point on the dip stick. Usually it is at the full point. Maybe the dealer messed up last oil change. Or God forbid put in lighter weight oil. Have to get on him.

Last spring I caught them putting too much oil in my 5.9 Pickup. I had them take out enough to get down to the full point.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Everyone's said it already, but I agree: DON'T waste money on a warranty!

For the cost of that warranty, if you were to blow an engine or transmission within the next 5 years (highly unlikely given only 3k miles a year!) you could pay for it out of pocket and come out ahead of what you'd pay on a warranty!

My rule of thumb is to NEVER pay extra for warranty coverage. If it worked out in the buyer's favor, they wouldn't offer it!

Reply to
Steve

I too, would not recommend an extended warranty on a car of that age. There will probably be many exlusions and limitations, like the one that I bought.

They would not pay for the headgasket sealer that Chrysler requires for the new headgasket. They would also not pay for *shop supplies." I ended up paying $110 out of my pocket for things that they would not cover. The price it paid for the warranty, just about covered what the shop would have charged, had I paid myself.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50

Well his window motors are likely to break unless they fixed the problem by

2001 which I doubt. They cost about $500 per door if I remember correctly.

Reply to
Art

No way Hose 'A'! Window lift motor for an LH car lists for $82, costs between $60 and $75 at on-line discount dealers. So - the answer is still "no extended warranty".

Are you saying you paid $500 for a window lift motor? Even with an hour of labor that would be hiway robbery.

Reply to
Bill Putney

I don't average that much for maintenance I pay for. I do about 8k miles per year on a '95 LH, now about 90k miles total.

Don't waste your money on an extended warranty.

Reply to
who

I agree with who. What kind of failure are you thinking might happen to you that would cost over $3500 (I added a little for deductables and other b.s. "not covered" aspects of such failures)?

My philosophy is to self insure whenever possible and to purchase extra warranties and insurance *only* for catastrophic things that could wipe you out. Also, with the future business environment not being favorable, warranty companies are going to fight you every step of the way on any claims (if they are even still around) - it's bad enough in the recent past environment - you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Statistically you will be way ahead to bank the money to self-insure especially in your case.

Reply to
Bill Putney