2001 Minivan - power steering locks up

My wife drives a silver, 2001, chrysler town & country minivan lxi. If you look closely, there is about 20 of them in the mall parking lot right now~

2 wheel drive. 3.4 liter.

Here's the problem. When first starting the power steering freezes up, making the car unable to be steered. It will go away soon enough, but it can be very dangerous at first.

I just checked the fluid, and we're fine (hat's off the Engineer that gave me a window on the outside - GeNiUs).

Thought maybe it was only in cold weather, but, today was rather warm. So, looks like I have a problem here. Quick perusal of the NG (here and groups.google) and didn't see anyone else with this problem.

Any thoughts?

(I bought the car 2nd hand, and it comes with a warranty *not* from Chrysler. feel free to tell me how that's not going to work, too)

Reply to
ng_reader

Must be (1) Slipping (loose/oily/glazed) belt, (2) Bad pump, or (3) Bad rack.

Bill Putney

I'm tempted to agree with your diagnosis. Don't think a belt, probably not the rack (as it's intermittent), must be the pump. Any idea how long to R&R that unit? (I can check for prices, and guestimate the hourly rate, myself)

Reply to
ng_reader

I have no idea. Those are the only things in the system that something could go wrong with (other than hoses, and you didn't mention any leaks). 8^)

I will say I've seen many threads in which the OP corrected similar problems simply by replacing the p.s. fluid! Worth a try. (BTW - use ATF+4 for the fluid if your existing fluid is red, or use Mopar MS5391 if your existing fluid is yellow - depends on the build date of your T&C per TSB No. 19-005-03.)

Bill Putney