2001 Neon Rear Brake Cylinder

The driver side rear drum cylinder has failed on my 2001 neon. It was a 'all of a sudden' good working order, to leaking badly. I have checked, and the cylinder is leaking.

That being said, is there anything else I should be changing at the same time as this cylinder? Should I change the other side as well? (The part is ~$23 and I will be doing the work myself).

Mike mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Reply to
mike

I would suggest replacing the shoes if they are worn, or are brake fluid soaked. If you replace the shoes, the other side should be replaced too.

I don't believe that it is necessary to replace the cylinder on the other side, unless it also shows signs of leaking, or you want to do it for peace of mind.

It will necessary to properly bleed the system. Unless it is anti- lock, you should be able to do it yourself.

Are any drum brake systems anti-lock?

-KM

Reply to
KirkM

I had a '96 Mercury Mystique (same as a Ford Contour) that had disk brakes in front, drums in rear, with ABS. I'm pretty sure the ABS system controlled the rears as well as the fronts, but I can't swear to it. Oh - almost forgot - my wife's '99 Buick Century - disk front, drums rear, ABS. If I've personally had two such vehicles, it must not be unusual - like someone's going to post "Bill - those happen to be the only two cars ever made with drum brakes and ABS". :)

Reply to
Bill Putney