2001 Neon transmission

Has anyone had any issues with there automatic transmission in a second generation Neon? I am starting to wonder if mine is begining to fail. It has been cool the past few mornings and I have noticed that it is very hesitent to go into gear. It shifts fine into the possition, however, I notice that it acts as if it is in nutral and not gear for a few seconds. I have also noticed that once it gets into reverse, that it makes a high pitch wine for a few seconds. This all just started resently. Any ideas?

Mike mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

Reply to
Michael

Questions: Have you checked the ATF level when the vehicle is hot per the owner's manual? How many miles on the vehicle? What is the transmission service history? Sluggish initial shift into drive/reverse gears, especially when cold is usually a sign of low fluid level or a partially clogged filter.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Car has approx 105,000km on it. Had all the fluids flushed and filled when I bought it. (approx 95,000km ago) I am bringing it in to do a flush and fill this weekend. I think that my gf may have blowen a seal or something. I mentioned that it was acting up and then she admited to attempting to put it if first gear while slowing almost to a stop, which on a automatic, was reverse. (Her car is a manual transmission) I have not had a chance to check under the car except for this morning. I noticed what I think is a light grade oil/fluid on the driver side of the oil pan, which I am guessing is the transmission housing. I am not sure if this was acually oil/fluid, or just condinsation/moisture mixed with road dirt on the underside of the engine. I will fine out more later. I hope she did not kill the tranny, as I still do not have my other car road ready. This could make for a cold winter waiting for the bus. Mike

Reply to
Michael

You still don't say if the fluid is full or not. The first thing to do is to check the level following procedure in the owner's manual. (It really is simple to do). Add the correct ATF (ATF+4 I believe) if it's low to bring it to the "full hot" line on the dipstick and see how it performs.

If you had it flushed properly 10kMs ago, then you should not need it done again unless they screwed up and used the wrong fluid or did a power flush only. Make sure if you do the flush and fill that they actually DROP THE TRANS PAN since most places won't do this and use a power flush system which leaves all the residue in the pan, steel filings on the magnet, and the dirty filter untouched.

Also make sure they use the correct fluid as the incorrect fluid will cause more problems than you have already and end up costing you a lot in the end.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

The worst I've ever seen this do is just cause the car to stall.

As another poster said, check the fluid level as per manual. Should be: drive around till car's warmed up, stop on a level surface, change through all gear positions, allowing a couple seconds in each gear, then leave in park, with the engine running. Check the dipstick. Should be between second and third hole where it says "Warm" and "hot" respectively.

Reply to
Bill 2

Well... It is not the fluid level. Looks like the torque converter and /or pump. Got a look at the magnet and it had a small pile of shavings. First quote to have them changed is approx $1500.

Reply to
Michael

, searchable used auto parts clear across North America.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
mike