2001 PT Cruiser Air Bag Lite

My 2001 PT has the air bag lite going on and off. Took it to my dealer like a good girl and was told that it is an "air bag" problem and shoud be replaced. I am having trouble with getting them to look at the "clock spring" or any other connections. Any suggestions as to other problems it could be??? jody

Reply to
jody

You are not alone. My 2001 PT does the same thing...starting about a year ago and is still doing it. Dealer also wanted to change the passenger air bag at $700 plus. Have held off as I rarely have a passenger.

Reply to
do not spam

If your dealer checked it out they should know what the problem is. Did they tell you what the code no is or what you need. What did they tell you about it? Why did they not fix it for you? What is the problem?

Reply to
MT-2500

They checked out the codes (didn't tell what they were), they are going to check with a "tech" and the give me an estimate on replacing the bag. Didn't say if they checked anything else, just the codes. I can't get them to give me any more info. It's starting to get me upset with the lack of communication.

Reply to
jody

More then likely it is the air bag connectors that are causing the problem. If you disconnect and reconnect the connector does the lite go out and then maybe come back again?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

If they checked for codes the code no should have been put on the repair order. Hold up on lettiing the replace the air bag. Air bags may blow up but very seldom go bad. :grinyes: There is no code that says replace air bag. Codes only point to a bad circuit or connection or sensor. Like Maxpower said may be a bad connection. I would you find another dealer or repair shop that is trained in air bag repair. And if you paid for a check out or code read out make them give you the code no and post it back here also ask them why they want to replace air bag?. If we have code no we could help more. Good luck

Reply to
MT-2500

It could be the seat belt sensor on either driver/passenger side. My airbag idiot light popped on, on 2 different occasions.

There is a sensor in the seat belt mechanism on the floor, that is tied in to the airbag system. if either sensor goes bad-the idiot light pops on.

Any of your Techs in here can confirm this; I have an '02 PT Cruiser.

Reply to
pe2

Where is this light connector located at? I'd like to know in case the idiot light comes on again in the future-

Thanks-

Reply to
pe2

The connector in question is to the left of the air bag on the passenger side. You would have to pull the upper dash panel to access it. I have seen where owners have actually cut the connectors out and just hard wire them together.