2001 PT Cruiser - Hissing engine

I hear a weird hiss when the engine is running. It' like a constant leaking of air (or sucking in of air.) I can't seem to directionally locate where it is coming from in the engine compartment.

It drives fine but that noise is not right and sounds like it's something horrible waiting to happen.

It stops when the engine stops and is a constant hiss like a loud, leaking tire.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Just Me (remove

Sounds like a vacuum leak. There are several vacuum hoses under the hood. Check them all for leaks and cracks.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Yep.

PCV hose is the culprit. Easy replace, but no one carries it. It's

1/2" on one end and 3/8" on the other with a 180 degree bend. What a mess. I tried a 1/2" fuel hose but looks like it kinks too much to be of use. Hopefully the dealer won't gouge me tomorrow to buy one.

Steve B. wrote:

Reply to
Just Me (remove

Just put a loop in it, there's no law that says the PVC host must only be 3 inches long. The automakers use those silly formed hoses because they make the inside of the engine compartment look "cleaner" which is important for new car sales when you got boneheads looking under the hood on the new car lot, when deciding if to buy a car.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Lose air filter box; check the clips.

Reply to
rfeirste

Disconnected vacuum hose somewhere.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Phillip Mcracken

Reply to
Phillip Mcracken

I decided to hit the dealer for the exact hose. $20 later I slipped it on and things are back to normal. No hissing.

I took the time to top off the oil and water, also did the tires up. Haven't driven it much yet but it's working as normal.

I am going to see if this maintenance helps my MPG a bit. It has been horrendous lately unless on a long trip. My Mom's 2007 PT got 33mpg on the highway running a long way non-stop. I only wish my 2001 would come close to that. I got 22mpg on a full tank trip.

Phillip Mcracken wrote:

Reply to
Just Me (remove