2001 Sebring Temp gauge fluctuations

I have a 2001 Sebring and often, when I am setting at a redlight, my temp gaugue will go from about 1/2 way to 3/4 of the way to hot. When I start going again, the gauge comes back down. I have had my car in the shop at least 4 times to see if they can find a problem, but my thermostat and fans work correctly and I have plenty of fluid. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know what may be causing this issue? I am afraid that I am going to be stranded on the side of an Atlanta highway one morning or afternoon.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
casey_rf

You do not say if the gauge acted differently previously ... sure sounds to me like the fan is not turning on automatically like it should when the temperature sender calls for the additional airflow. You can simulate this condition by simply letting the engine idle in your driveway or garage. See what happens for yourself. Does the fan turn on at any point or does the gauge simply continue to rise? What happens if you turn on your A/C? Both fans should run with the A/C on. If the fans come on with the A/C but the cooling fan does not run when the temperature is very hot, then it would seem to indict the coolant temperature sender.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

"" wrote: > You do not say if the gauge acted differently previously ... > sure sounds to > me like the fan is not turning on automatically like it should > when the > temperature sender calls for the additional airflow. You can > simulate this > condition by simply letting the engine idle in your driveway > or garage. See > what happens for yourself. Does the fan turn on at any point > or does the > gauge simply continue to rise? What happens if you turn on > your A/C? Both > fans should run with the A/C on. If the fans come on with the > A/C but the > cooling fan does not run when the temperature is very hot, > then it would > seem to indict the coolant temperature sender. > > Bob > > "casey_rf" wrote in > message > news:688979 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com... > > I have a 2001 Sebring and often, when I am setting at a > redlight, my > > temp gaugue will go from about 1/2 way to 3/4 of the way to > hot. When > > I start going again, the gauge comes back down. I have had > my car in > > the shop at least 4 times to see if they can find a problem, > but my > > thermostat and fans work correctly and I have plenty of > fluid. Has > > anyone else had this problem or does anyone know what may be > causing > > this issue? I am afraid that I am going to be stranded on > the side of > > an Atlanta highway one morning or afternoon.

Bob, first off, thanks for your response. I did let my car idle in the drive yesterday. It did not take long for the temp gauge to begin moving up. At that point, it appeas that when the A/C if off, a fan will kick on and when the A/C is on, another fan will kick on. So, it appears the fans are working correctly.

I have taken this thing to a 4 shops and noone can find anything wrong with my car. I just changed all the hoses going to and from the radiator. I think that I might be blowing anti-freeze out the tail because the level is low (I just filled the thing up less than a month ago) and I don?t see any puddles or marks underneath the car to indicate that the radiator is leaking.

Reply to
casey_rf

Do an oil change immediately and check for antifreeze/water in the oil. If that is happening you will hash your mains if you don't do something about it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt