2002 2.4L Sebring, Question re: exhaust manifold

I am trying to diagnose an exhaust leak on my sister-in-laws car. Hopefully you guys can educate me on what this should look like.

Is there supposed to be a clamp where the exhaust pipe connects to the exhast manifold? I see what looks like steel wool packing in the joint, however I am not certain if the joint is a slip fit or there should be a clamp. If there is supposed to be a clamp then hers is missing.

Thanks,

Reply to
Ed Bacon, Jr.

The only way I've ever been able to diagnose exhaust leaks is to put the vehicle up on jackstands (and use decent ones, not the little piss-ant ones) insert earplugs (in my ears) start the car, then use a creeper to get under the vehicle and carefully examine the entire exhaust system. The leak will be very noticable, both loud and you can feel the exhaust puffing out when you put your hand up to it.

Make absolutely sure before you do this that you CANNOT push the car off the stands. For jackstands I use the big Harbor Freight ones and put them under the axle. For safety, you can also put a stack of (mounted) spare tires under the car.

Common places for leaks are muffler connections, and the pipe to manifold connection.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

And if you have trouble finding a small leak, you can have a helper stick something over the tail pip momentarily to make the exhaust shoot out of the leak.

What makes you think there is a leak? Do you hear noise, or do you smell exhaust in the car? If it's noise, when do you hear it?

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

No there is no clamps missing.Its four nuts holding the front pipe to the manifold. The most likely cause of your leak is front pipe to the exhaust manifold (cracked) You can also check for broken m manifold bolts or loose. You can diagnos this by the black soot around the manifold and cylinder head.

Claude

Reply to
master tech

loose bolts. You can diagnos this by the black soot around the manifold and cylinder head.

Reply to
master tech