2002 Caravan Ball Joints

I was trying to shoot grease into the lower ball joints today and the grease wasn't going in. I unscrewed the grease fitting and found out that it didn't have a hole in it. In fact, it really didn't look like a normal fitting. Are these ball joints maintenance free or do I have to go out and buy fittings so that I can apply the grease?

Reply to
Ken Kociolek

maxpower

Maybe you're trying to inject grease into the brake caliper bleeders?

Bill Putney

YIKES!

Good God, I hope not.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

bleeders?

Definitely not brake caliper bleeders. My ball joints must be lubed for life.

Reply to
kkociolek

Reply to
deadbeat

This is too funny. There are no grease fittings on these.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Are you sure it is a grease fitting? Some have plugs where grease fittings used to/should be, but I haven't seen a grease fitting on either of my minivan lower ball joints (96 and 03).

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

They stopped using grease fittings in 96, this was the TSB released at that time NO: 02-09-95 SUBJECT: Ball Joint Grease Fitting "Broken" Appearance DATE: Jul. 7, 1995 DISCUSSION: The lower control arm ball joints on the 1996 NS/GS vehicles are lubricated for life during the manufacturing process. After the ball joints are filled with grease during assembly, the ball joint grease fittings are snapped off to prevent more grease being added to the joint. Grease will not leak from the fitting.

Installation of new grease fittings into the ball joints and adding grease may result in seals rupturing making seal replacement necessary.

DO NOT REPLACE LOWER C>

Reply to
maxpower

If that were the case, I hope no-one ever sends him into the barn that has both cows and bulls in it to do any milking! 8^)

Bill Putney

snapped off

Excellent. Many thanks goes to maxpower for clearing this up.

Reply to
kkociolek

Reply to
deadbeat

I'm a city boy, so I don't know for certain, but I'm told that if you milk a bull, you've made a friend for life!

:-)

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff