2002 Dodge Caravan recall

I just got a letter from Chrysler concerning what is to me a strange recall.

I've got the short wheelbase 2002 Caravan with the standard radio.

The recall claims that condensation can form on a rear A/C duct, dripping onto one of the rear stereo speakers, possibly causing a fire.

Seems to me that even dunking one of the speakers in water wouldn't cause a fire. It might be hell on the fidelity but wouldn't cause a fire. Perhaps they are worried that dead shorting a speaker would cause the radio's audio output transistor or module to blow and cause excessive current flow? Even that is highly unlikely....

Their solution is to put some kind of a shield over the speaker. The dealer doesn't have the part in stock. I doubt that there is much hurry. I've got 50K on this vehicle without incident.

Anyone have knowledge of this recall?

Doug

Reply to
Doug

From the NHTSA website. Capitals are theirs.

Summary: ON CERTAIN MINI VANS, CONDENSATION FROM THE INSTRUMENT PANEL AIR CONDITIONING DUCTS MAY DROP THROUGH VENT HOLES IN THE TOP OF THE RADIO AND RESULT IN A SHORT CIRCUIT THAT SUBSEQUENTLY SENDS DIRECT CURRENT TO THE REAR SPEAKERS. Consequence: THIS COULD RESULT IN A SPEAKER FIRE. Remedy: DEALERS WILL ADD A SPECIAL TAPE TO THE TOP OF THE RADIO TO PREVENT THE POTENTIAL OF WATER INTRUSION. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JANUARY 31,

2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403. Notes: DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECALL NO. D48. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION?S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
Reply to
Grouchy

We are supposed to put some kind of tape over the radio, moisture from the a/c ducts may get into the vent slots of the radio, the vents have to be covered up to prevent this from causing a speaker fire in the rear, I havent had to perform one of these recalls yet. Hmmmm I wonder what this does to the radio now that it isnt being cooled properly

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Another plot to force people to turn off Howard Stern; no more hot radio.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Hey Glen the recall does call for aluminum foil "conductive"tape,maybe they think the tape will conduct the heat from the radio????,aren't there vents on the bottom too?

Kevin Thune Chrysler Service Advisor :-)

Reply to
TNKEV

Reply to
maxpower

OK thanks for the info. The above is clearer than Chrysler's letter

Doug

Reply to
Doug