2002 Dodge Stratus (fast clicking sound when trying to turn over)

I bought a used 2002 Dodge Stratus SE (Automatic) a few months ago and recently all heck seems to be breaking loose. First the battery died, but we were able to charge it back up again. Ever since then however, it appears as though the idle speed is out of wack. When approaching slow-downs (such as lights or stops), the car will just shut down, unless I keep my foot on the gas and use the other foot to brake. Additionally, a few times now, the car will only produce a fast clicking sound when I go to turn the engine over. The first time it happened, I was waiting for a chance to get it to a mechanic and for some reason a few days later everything (aside from the problem with slowing down) was fine again. This time that it has happened however, all I get is the fast clicking sound. All electrical systems appear fine and lights, radio, door alarms, etc all are working fine, just the fast clicking and it won't turn over.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas what this could be and any thoughts on how I could fix this easily without tons of cash?

Thanks a ton for your help.

Xavier

Reply to
XNelson

A 2002 is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty...take it to either a Dodge or Chrysler dealer.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Get your battery and alternator both tested - many auto parts stores can do that for free (although the meaningfulness of the test can be somewhat dependent on the person doing the testing). If they test good, start looking for poor (loose and/or corroded) connections starting at the battery terminals.

Bill Putney

Reply to
mic canic