2002 Grand Cherokee Key problem

My girlfriends 2002 Grand Cherokee left us stranded. Turn the key and the only thing that happened was this icon on the display lit up with a key symbol and the circle-slash.

Ok, tow it to the dealer. It's a bad lock. Then the call, the housing was damaged. Up to $500+.

Pick up the car. Then a few days later the same thing. This time 50 miles from the dealer. They come pick it up. Still didn't start when the tow truck came to pick it up, but now they say it worked fine and they can't duplicate the problem.

I'm not feeling good here...

There's more. About 4 months ago it failed on me. But I took the key out and put it back in and it started fine. Then about 2 months ago if failed again. Took the key out, put it back in, wouldn't start. So I took the key out, cycled the door locks with the remote (I thought maybe it was the security system), then it started fine. One other time it failed, almost two months ago. That time I just 'pressed' the key in and it started.

But both these recent failures multiple people tried for an hour or more each time to get it to start, and it had to be towed. The first time at the dealers when it was towed in it was a hard failure and wouldn't start. That's when they tore it apart and replaced the ignition switch. Then called and said the housing was bad. (Oh, I didn't get the parts back. Foolish me...)

So... Any insight on this? I'm part of a group taking Boy Scouts up to Vermont Friday and I can't risk a car stranding me. And what about the repair? I'm kind of touchy since I was told one price when it was dropped off, then it was raised, and now it's still not fixed...

Mike

Reply to
Mike Y

Does this vehicle start then stall then do nothing at all? If you have a gray SKIM key you may have a problem with the key transponder or the SKIM Module itself. Most vehicle have more then one key, have you tried another key to determine it isn't a key issue??? Has anybody connected a scan tool to see if there were any fault codes in the SKIM Module if equipped?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Have multiple keys, they all do the same thing. The only perceivable change when any of the keys are turned is the dash lights up the 'no key' icon.

No error codes. At least, none today after being towed in. I'm assuming there were codes the first time it was towed in to give them the indication to replace the switch, but I didn't ask.

So far we're out $528 (I had AAA for the first tow). I'm kinda chapped that the first estimate was $258 and then got bumped up. I would have chalked it up to 'these things happen' kind of thing, but now that it's not fixed...

Nothing is as scary as 'it works fine now' kind of thing. I had a Dodge that I went back and forth on about a problem, with the dealer telling me a rental wasn't covered since they didn't find a problem. (Think I'll ever buy a car there again or recommend them?) Anyway, engine ended up putting a rod right through the block at 7000 miles... Went to a different dealer...

Realistically, I do understand some problems can be a bitch to find. I was just hoping to hear something more concrete to give me some confidence to take the vehicle on the trip Friday, which just doesn't look like it will happen.

Reply to
Mike Y

Mike you need to have someone connect a scan tool, not just a "code reader" and see if any fault codes are stored in the SKIM module. Sorry I cant tell you to take this vehicle or not with you Friday. And yes it is true, if you have a service contract it will NOT cover a rental vehicle unless the vehicle is down for repairs ONLY. Not the dealers fault, however if you are a regular customer at that dealer, they may have offered a loaner vehicle if one was available

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

I'm assuming the dealer did it with a scan tool, not a reader.

The deal with the rental was when I had just BOUGHT the vehicle at a Dodge dealership when I lived in Texas and the car had less than 2000 miles on it. Years ago, not current.

Reply to
Mike Y

Reply to
philthy

Hey dirt bag, he said he has multiple keys, I doubt if all keys are bad.

Reply to
maxpower

Wow! I'm so glad you posted such helpful information I could just shit!

Reply to
Mike Y