2002 Grand Cherokee through a rod

I have a friend with a 2002 grand cherokee and calls me up to ask me if it is a bad thing if a piston goes out through the oil pan. I thought that he might have gone through a huge puddle or someting but that want the case. It turns out that there was sludge in the oil pan so the dealer will not honor the Warranty. Now I know that this guy did change his oil on a regular basis, never exeeding 4k miles between oil changes, and it surprised me to hear that there was sludge in the engine.

I've heard recently that chrysler has had a problem with oil pumps on some engines could there be a reason that might cause this particular engine to generate more sludge inside it that cause the oil pump to fail? And what would be the best course of action he can take to make chrysler more acountable for this failure.

Thank you all

Reply to
Diver1055

Simple. Demonstrate to the zone rep that the oil was changed at regular intervals by supplying copies of the receipts for the work and/or materials.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Which engine type?

Was the car still under warranty? If so and the dealer is claiming "neglect," I would have an oil analysis done on the sludge. If it turns out to be coolant in the oil, rub their nose in it and make them honor the warranty because an internal coolant leak triggered the failure. If it isn't, learn never to use that brand of oil again.

Reply to
Steve

What kind of oil did he use? What was his driving style? Lots of highway or mostly stop and go and long periods of idling?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Always keep receipts OR use the dealers "quick-lube" service so they can't use that excuse...

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Reply to
mic canic

There are several engines (some Toyotas, some Hondas, and teh Chrysler

2.7L) that have gained a reputation for sludging up and self-destructing (i wasn't aware of a problem with the GC engine). I suspect there are some common design elements/lessons learned that the industry is sharing among itself but not with the general public. I sure would like to know what it is.

Bill Putney

Was the customer able to produce receipts? Let's say the customer did take his vehicle to be serviced regularly and it was a crappy shop that didn't bother to change the filter. The average customer would never know that the filter wasn't changed. (The oil is more obvious because you can see the color difference at the dipstick.) Now I'm sure a shop would never ever do this, right?

Reply to
Greg Johnson

So what do you do other than change the oil regularly to prevent sludging?

KS

Reply to
Kevin

This is the best defense. The next best is to drive the vehicle fairly often and occasionally for at least 20 miles at a decent speed to get the oil good and hot and get rid of any accumulated moisture.

Apparently, some engines, one Toyota as previously mentioned, have some design characteristic that makes them more prone than normal to sludge build-up. I have no idea what that characteristic is, but sure would like to know.

The other thing I do is use synthetic oil.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Avoid all Toyota engines and 2.7L Chrysler engines.

:-)

Reply to
Steve