2002 PT Cruiser Fire

Today my wife drove her 2002 PT Cruiser (PTC) with 14K miles into a marina parking lot. While doing a low-speed U-turn, a bolt in the power steering rack area came loose, causing power steering fluid to spray onto the catalytic converter, which instantly started a fire. A boat mechanic instantly spotted the fire and came running with a big dry chemical fire extinguisher. He was able to quickly extinguish the fire. They pushed the PTC back into a parking spot and noticed a large amount of red fluid on the asphalt. Further checking revealed the power steering fluid canister was void of fluid. The PTC was towed to a local Chrysler dealership, where my Insurance Rep was waiting. 3.5 hours later the leak was fixed and existing fuel pump warranty work was completed. No other damage was detected, primarily due to one fast-acting good Samaritan. Yes, we put kitty litter down to soak up the fluid.

Someone please tell me I am not going to have to complete an extensive pre-drive inspection prior to daily driving. Aren't catalytic converters supposed to be adequately shielded to prevent such fires? Seems dangerous to have the front of the converter poking into the engine bay area anyway. Me, nor my friends have ever heard of this type problem on any car. Anyone else experience this? My wife is still freaked out.

Can't say enough good things about my new friend with the fire extinguisher. I had to beg him to take some cash.

Reply to
Ralph Pardue

You might want to report this to NHTSA, (I think that's the right initials) The national highway and transportation safety administration. Did you try to contact anyone higher up in Chrysler?

My wife & I love our 2002 PT Limited Edition, I just hope this was a unusual occurrence.

SRG

extinguisher.

Reply to
SRG

Weird things happen, no design or "shielding" can adequately prevent

*every* screwball scenario. If they could, there wouldn't be ANY car fires. Its only when something starts appearing over and over again in the fleet of similar cars that I'd suspect a real flaw.

Which is one reason its a good idea to ALWAYS carry one. Even the small ones that fit in a glove box and are only good for a 15-second blast might be enough to save a vehicle (or a life). Cheap and easy insurance.....

Reply to
Steve

extinguisher.

Reply to
jdoe

Maybe there is a problem with bad bolts in the rack.

mechanic

chemical fire

canister was

detected,

kitty litter

extensive

Reply to
Art Begun

Or maybe it was just a freak accident (which seems the most likely scenario). The cat must have *really* gotten doused with fluid because you can normally pour oil all over one or an exhaust manifold and create lots of smoke, but no fire. Wierd.

Cheers,

Chris Mauritz

A Cruiser looks very cool with flames, but not REAL ones! Close call...

****************************** Got wood? Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair prices...
BREWERPAUL